SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way to work today (12km into my 25km trip) the check engine light came on and the engine temp indicator dropped and stayed on "low" (i.e., its not reading at all). The car is behaving normally and a quick look under the hood didn't reveal anything obviously amiss - like flames, spewing liquids, small animals, etc. I checked the gas cap and it was loose - it hadn't been turned down tightly on the last fill. Could that be it?

I will check it out on the drive home this later afternoon. Otherwise, I fear the dealer is going to take another thousand!

Any other hints? ECU reset?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes, a loose petrol cap can cause a CEL, so can a fubbered temperature sensor,
or, in my case it was a bad connection onto the temp sensor.
Its happened a couple of times now. The temp indicator go's to cold and a short while later you get a CEL.

Start by re-setting the ecu either by pulling the fuse or by dis-connecting the battery for about 10 mins.
Then.
Pull the connection to the temp sensor off and on a few times.

Hopefully when you re-place the fuse or re-con the battery the temp indicator will work again.

HTH

Pete

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Pete. I re-tightened the gas cap and topped up the fuel. The check engine light remained on for a short while but is off now and everything is working properly. As for the temp gauge, it is also back to normal. I would think it's a good idea to check the sensor connections as you recommend. Where are they located?

James

·
Registered
203 Posts
You'll have to let us know what engine you've got, then maybe someone else can supply a picture.

On the V6 you remove the oil filler cap, undo about 6 screws on the plastic shroud over the engine, remove the shroud and its down there on the right hand side of the engine.

Pete

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the 2.3L light boost model. If anyone has a picture of the location of the temp sensor connection, that would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
jameskie said:
It's the 2.3L light boost model. If anyone has a picture of the location of the temp sensor connection, that would be great.
It is located on the drivers side of the engine to the right of the DI cassette and beneath the delivery pipe which is connected to the top of the throttle body. It takes a 19mm spanner!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts