SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondered if anyone can give me some (CHEAP) do it yourself things i can do to improve the performance of my 1998 saab 9/5 2.0L intill i can get some money together (anything) thanks guy, girls. :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
483 Posts
There is no such thing as cheap performance, going fast means spending money. The best thing you can do right now is give it a tune up and make sure it runs smooth.

Read the sticky at the top of this forum and that should answer your questions about tuning the 9-5.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The cheapest performance "upgrade" is making sure everything is working 100% as the factory intended.
The second is learning how to drive properly ;)

However I have lots of sympathy having had two 2.0 LPTs and they are woefully underpowered! :cry:

A stage 1 tune really makes a difference but its not till stage 3 that you ahve a quick car, then of course you realise that you need brakes and suspension upgrades...........

Wanna buy my car :p

·
Registered
307 Posts
change fuel filter, (these can clog up causing a lack of fuel pressure to the regulator, meaning lacking performance) only £10, if that, from halfords.

replace air filter, (if not a performance replacemet) then just a standard filter will cleen up the air intake, and make ur car breath easier.

make sure you have the correct apark plugs, take them out give them a cleen up with a wire brush, - regap them - replace

oil change - will make your insides runs smoother, and quieten down the engine.

cowboy????

cut a hole in your wastgate line, that goes to your apc, about a 5mm hole, will add about 2psi of boost. :D:D

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
yh
it does make your car faster, but its a real cowboy way of doing so.

but if u make the hole too big your hit fuel cut.

u have to keep experimenting.
its exactly like an mbc, (bleeding some air off) but if u aint got no money (eg. title)

it works on 9000's (t5 cars) i ran a set-up like this on my 9000 for a week whilst driving everyday. awaiting delivery of my mbc.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
it works on 9000's (t5 cars) i ran a set-up like this on my 9000 for a week whilst driving everyday. awaiting delivery of my mbc.
But not on T7's perhaps ;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Chris we have been through this, please buy one slap it on and you will see it works perfectly fine boosts you 2 + psi and gives you lower rpm power il put my keys on it. the A/F is not affected at all.

Buy one of what, he says cut a hole in a pipe - what do you want me to buy?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
"cheap performance", Just remember 1 thing, Cheap parts aren't good, and good parts aren't cheap.......Nuff said

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
"cheap performance", Just remember 1 thing, Cheap parts aren't good, and good parts aren't cheap.......Nuff said
cant believe someone hasnt said this already.....seriously "cheap" and "performance" really don't even belong in the same sentence.

there are CHEAPER ways than others, but next to nothing you can do for "free horsepower"

·
Registered
359 Posts
change fuel filter, (these can clog up causing a lack of fuel pressure to the regulator, meaning lacking performance) only £10, if that, from halfords.

replace air filter, (if not a performance replacemet) then just a standard filter will cleen up the air intake, and make ur car breath easier.

make sure you have the correct apark plugs, take them out give them a cleen up with a wire brush, - regap them - replace

oil change - will make your insides runs smoother, and quieten down the engine.

cowboy????

cut a hole in your wastgate line, that goes to your apc, about a 5mm hole, will add about 2psi of boost. :D:D

how the heck does that work lol ? i would think cutting any kind of hole in a hose would be BAAAD lol please explain how this works ?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts