SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I turn, I am afraid that the turn signal will break. It seems so flimsy to me compared with previous Saabs. Am I just crazy or does the click of the plastic seem prone to breakage to you, too?

Another thing that I think is worse with the new 9-3 (and many new cars) is that it is harder to customize the car now. Fog lights need Tech II adjustments as putting them in is not enough. Seat covers are out as they interfere with the airbag in the seat. I am wary (maybe too scared?) to deviate from the tire recommendations for fear of fooling the ESP (traction control).

I know these are small gripes but despite improvements over previous Saabs, there are a few areas that got worse, not better.

Other bad things that others want to share? Or solutions to bad things that people thought of?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The stalk seems to be a generic GM part and does feel flimsy (and has sharp edges!), but it seems to work ok. The seat cover issue is standard with any car that has air bags in the seat. Saab seems to have learned a bit about customization in newer models.

As for tires, as long as they're the same size, you should be fine. Overall, I like the quality of the interior parts, though not the buzzes and rattles in early builds.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
hmmm...let's see. first of all, i completely agree with you on the turn signal/wiper stalks. it looks, sounds, and feels like it's a hollow, paper thin plastic stalk. i remember reading that saab spent a lot of time with the shape and feel of the door handles because that is the first contact point on the vehicle. following that same logic, you'd think most commonly used items would have that same feel. what's so good about a solid first impression, only to be let down by the feel of something you use 10X more often? it's like having a hollow plastic manual gear shift lever. also...the plastic coating on the dash buttons and handles. why would anyone use coated plastic for anything that gets a lot of use?...knowing it will look like crap in a couple of years. has anyone seen coated plastic look halfway decent after several years? maybe it's just the common sense in me, but high wear items such as door handles, and buttons on the dash should be made from textured plastic...not coated to get that matte finish. i recently rode in a new 350z...not the plushest interior around, but there isn't any shiny hard plastic around. it's all textured plastic that looks fairly identical to the appearance of coated plastic. in my opinion, i'd rather have plastic turn a little shiny after many years than have peeling issues after just a couple of years. moving on...my '04 linear doesn't even have footwell lights. what kind of luxury car doesn't have footwell lighting? even the cheapest of the cheap have them these days. i'm don't even want to get into the cupholder in the dash. it's a great novelty item that's fun to show my friends, but as flimsy as it is, it's completely worthless. form always follows function...where's the function part of this cupholder? you literally have to support the cup holder that is supposed to support the cup...makes no sense to me. also, where's the dead pedal? i've never checked, but i can almost guarantee hyundai's and kia's have them...why can't my saab? i realize there are no perfect cars, and never will be, but these things seem like common sense to me. skimp out on other stuff if you must...but at the very least, things standard on a hyundai and kia should be standard on a saab. ok...enough venting i guess.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I'm really happy with my Saab. If i wasnt happy with the overall package i wouldn't have wrote a cheque to the dealer for £25k, and gone and bought another car i was happy with - wouldn't you?:roll:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I guess I'm used to the turn signal now. I'm starting to see peeling buttons, door pulls, etc at just under 14K miles. I use the cupholder in the dash every day for my homemade double latte. I would imagine a 7-11 32oz bladder buster might test the limits of it though.

The door seals that require frequent silicone lubrication to keep the car from sounding like a 1984 clunker are completely unacceptable and there should really be a *REAL* TSB fix for this that REALLY fixes it. My car did not have this problem for about the first 10K miles so . . . what wore out? What changed from mile 0? Spraying stuff on it every week or two is not fixing it. I must admit I am glad we at least have that option though because without it this car was driving me absolutely nuts.

Substandard technology with respect to competitors' offerings. Only h/f phone option available to pre-2005 U.S. customers is not even offered by SAAB. You have to get the Etadyne cable (or make it yourself) and install it yourself. If I'd gone with the TL I also liked I'd have built-in bluetooth and XM without having to yank stuff out of the dash to install it myself (or pay the dealer an exorbidant sum to install XM and occupy a storage spot I use daily).

I absolutely LOVE driving the car. I LOVE the way it looks. I LOVE the fact that it's one of the safest cars on the road. I LOVE the fact that it has great passing power but gets 30+ MPG when cruising. I LOVE the fact that it handles about as well as a stock FWD car can be expected to handle. I LOVE the fact that when the rear seats are folded I can put my 6'+ snowboard bag in the trunk without even having to touch the location of the front seats.

Lots to like - lots to improve.

I can't claim exclusivity in Atlanta any longer as I see tons of SAABs on the road and pass a couple of steel grey aeros during my commute.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts