SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Bringing my car back to my Saab mechanic tomorrow to install something where we were waiting on a part to arrive. When he last had it I asked him to change a bunch of settings with his Tech II. He does not maintain a security access subscription, and told me it'd cost him $100 for 1 day of security access (he'd need to pass the charge along to me), plus labor time for programming the options.

I know if I had my own Tech II, there are ways to hack the software to bypass the need for a security access subscription, but in the interest of not trying to walk my mechanic through that stuff (who really works more on vintage Saabs, electrical and computer stuff is not his forte), is there a place I could point him where we could get cheaper temporary security access? I did a little searching, does anyone know if the Orio site still works? looks like 40 euro a day, now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked him if he could do the following, he said none of the options were available without security access:
  • All doors unlock w/ first remote button press
  • Doors auto lock when car starts moving
  • Doors unlock when you take the key out of ignition
  • Enable Comfort Close if my car has it (hold lock button, windows & sunroof automatically go up)
  • Disable Daytime Running Lights

·
Registered
352 Posts
It might depend on the market but for european versions I do not think that you need security access to change these settings. It would only be required for reprogramming of engine or gearbox, as far as I know.
Looking at your picture it seems to be a newer version, I was thinking about 9-5. So maybe they changed it for later models, independent of the market.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, I have an '08 9-3 Aero in the US market. Don't know if those tasks actually require security access, or if my mechanic was just mistaken. I know for the US market, in order to enable comfort close and disable daytime running lights, you need to change the car to "international mode" or something to that effect, which I could see requiring additional security.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Well, if you can get a laptop, you could install your own version:

It can take some attempts to set everything up, and the cabling can be an issue, particularly if the laptop has only USB ports. So it's not a quick casual deal. But once installed correctly, it works. No subscription required.

Note, I don't think it will work for 2010 or later Saabs....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestion, Ed, but I'm not sure it's a particularly cost effective way to go in my particular case. Would need to buy an older laptop w/ serial port and possibly some other stuff (PMCIA cards? adapter cables?), spend a good chunk of time setting it up, and then convince my mechanic to work with my bootleg setup. Probably better to spend the $100 at that point (or less, if the Orio site I linked to works).

·
Registered
366 Posts
I used the Orio site last September when I needed to add a replacement ECM to my 2011 (I have globaltis, but that does not cover my 2011). It was 20 euros at that time, but it worked as far as providing the needed security access to match the ECM to my car. I also tried to update the programming in that ECM to the latest version, however I was not able to get that part of the site to work and finally I gave up and left the existing calibration in the replacement ECM.

I also noticed that the price went up, if that is what it takes to keep the service then I am happy to pay since there is no other alternative if you have a 2011 or later Saab.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
yes, I have an '08 9-3 Aero in the US market. Don't know if those tasks actually require security access, or if my mechanic was just mistaken. I know for the US market, in order to enable comfort close and disable daytime running lights, you need to change the car to "international mode" or something to that effect, which I could see requiring additional security.
I am quite surprised that a mechanic who apparently does Saabs does not have this capability. You need security access to change any module on an NG9-3, and there are a zillion modules.

If you only need to use this once, I agree, paying whatever for one-day access makes sense. But a shop, with a Tech II that works on Saabs? Inconceivable!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
?‍♀ maybe he was just trying to justify charging me more, but the guy's got a pretty honest reputation online. Who knows!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
It might depend on the market but for european versions I do not think that you need security access to change these settings. It would only be required for reprogramming of engine or gearbox, as far as I know.
Looking at your picture it seems to be a newer version, I was thinking about 9-5. So maybe they changed it for later models, independent of the market.
Rule of thumb most changes on the Ng 9-3 require security access but the token is saved to the card so unless you use the Tech2 for multiple cars then you don't have to request security access that often.Cheapest route for access has always been the direct route ie Orio or if you are a privileged member on the Trionic forum you can get access for free.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Rule of thumb most changes on the Ng 9-3 require security access but the token is saved to the card so unless you use the Tech2 for multiple cars then you don't have to request security access that often.Cheapest route for access has always been the direct route ie Orio or if you are a privileged member on the Trionic forum you can get access for free.
I have not had success keeping the token in my Tech 2; every time the tool requests security access for my 2011 although I seem to recall that when I had the 2008 it did save access for basic functions. Mostly I only need to reset the maintenance indicator now that all the settings are the way I want them on the car. Fortunately my Autel tool has a function to reset the maintenance indicator (or set it to whatever % I want), so I can do this outside of Tech 2.

I really wish the Trionic forum would release the updated globaltis security access for us 2011+ owners. They are a fairly closed group though, unless you are a very active member with lots of knowledge they kind of ignore you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have not had success keeping the token in my Tech 2; every time the tool requests security access for my 2011 although I seem to recall that when I had the 2008 it did save access for basic functions. Mostly I only need to reset the maintenance indicator now that all the settings are the way I want them on the car. Fortunately my Autel tool has a function to reset the maintenance indicator (or set it to whatever % I want), so I can do this outside of Tech 2.

I really wish the Trionic forum would release the updated globaltis security access for us 2011+ owners. They are a fairly closed group though, unless you are a very active member with lots of knowledge they kind of ignore you.
There is no such animal as GlobalTis with security access for the 11+ cars as a stand alone. What they do have is a legit subscription they let us use when needed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What you need is TIS2WEB with client and password.
Yes you are correct for information and diagnosing only. However the need for an LSID is still required and is in addition to client and pass for any security access needs. There is absolutely no way around this unless someone shares their LSID with others and that is not legal. We have to sign agreements, have insurance and other requirements. If we are caught letting others use our ID they will remove our privileges.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts