SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a few pics on how I stopped another crack on the mid pipe.
(I'm saving all the text first, then editing in the pics cuz my iPad suuuux and loses the thread when I go back and forth from photobucket. :()

Couldn't get the clamp off, so I cleaned up the area as best I could with a wire wheel on my drill...

Sprayed the area with hi temp engine enamel to curb the inevitable rust...

Foil tape directly on the crack, then a strip of steel wool cut to fit, a steel fruit can cut to fit...

...and threaded a hose clamp around the whole thing. Tight but not crunching the pipe. Purrs like a rusty 20 year old kitten. ;ol;

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
No offense but that exhaust has seen way better days and that clamp isn't correct (probably half the problem to begin with). I know these days everyone is on a budget but the resonator section and flexpipe can be had brand new for under $150 for the pair and while not super high quality they would likely last several years.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Jake's right that you should at least have the proper clamp on it. It will completely cover that hole, and with enough RTV sealant or something similar, it may fix your noise alone. I'd start with that.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The exhaust system is the one area I know the least about on these cars but I must say that is a nice looking and functional repair--something worthy of Red Green. ;ol;

Looks like it should last a good, long time too under normal conditions--less if you're in the rust belt.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with all accounts - and thanks for the kudos. Just buyin some time till I can replace it properly. Stickin corks in the leaky dam. The foil tape/steel wool/steel can/hose clamp is one of the better quick fixes I've seen. Aluminum cans wont last, and the steel wool mushes into the crack a bit.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was using 2 arizona tea cans split down the middle to "patch" my flex pipe with 3 4" hose clamps to keep them on. Worked really good for the 2 months I had it. Picked up a full cat back from the local pic-n-pull for $30. Cleaned and it up and was in perfect condition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts