SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, name's Dawson, and I'm looking into buying my first Saab. My friend down the road has a junk yard, and they've got a '95 900 SE with a blown up motor he'd sell me for what it's worth as scrap. Roughly $150 since it's got no engine. It's a V6, or was. The lady that owned it drove it overheating until the engine seized. It's blue, with a gray leather interior. I don't know what was standard equipment on these, but it's got sunroof, power mirrors/windows/locks, ABS, TCS, what I'm assuming is winter mode next to the shifter (round button with a snowflake), automatic climate control, what I believe to be an information center, heated power memory leather seats, and about 30 speakers. :lol: The body is mint (save for a crack in the left tail light), as is the interior. It's missing the radio, and somebody ripped the speakers to bits, but the leather is like new. The engine was torn down for scrap, but the automatic trans is still with it. It had two brand new tires, so somebody bought two of the wheels, and it's only got two originals. I'd like to buy it, throw in a motor, and if possible a 5spd. There is one 5spd turbo 4, and two V6 autos at another big junk yard, I could get the engine for $125, and a complete 5spd swap for under $100. I don't know if the 4cyl and V6 transmissions swap, or if there even is a V6 5spd, I know virtually nothing about these cars. If anybody has any input on this, what kinds of things I should look for with it, or advice as to the best way to get it driving again I'd appreciate it.

I'm really wanting this car, I've always wanted a Saab. Whatever you can tell me about it, I'd love to know. I'll be trolling the forums looking at others experiences with these cars, and what could be done with them. If I do end up getting it, It will just be a daily driver car.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, one more thing. The front rotors are drilled. Is that stock or what? I doubt the lady that owned it would have put them on. It was owned by a school teacher. lol

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Oh, one more thing. The front rotors are drilled. Is that stock or what? I doubt the lady that owned it would have put them on. It was owned by a school teacher. lol
Some PO(previous owner), in the vehicles dark and distant past may have "up-graded" to drilled rotors, or maybe the woman did - its a changing world.:cheesy:
A V6 with a 5 speed manual would be rare.
The I4 and V6 are totally different under the hood.
I'd stick with the V6 setup. And change the timing belt pulleys and belt, do this every 50K.
Save this beast from the junk yard, otherwise it will be stripped, and windows left open and the interior ruined - quickly.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
A V6 with a 5 speed manual would be rare.
I've had two of them :)

If you are surrounded with 4 cylinder parts and want a 4 cyl why not put that one, the frame of the car is the same and the engine wiring harness is normally removed with the engine (unplug ECU and push the plug out of the firewall, easier than even cutting the wires)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I do think I'm going to pick this up next week. And just for reference.

The car is like this, with these wheels.

But this color.

And with this interior.

Except it has no radio, and an automatic climate control. :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've had this exact model in green (waSAABi) for 10 years, from about 72k miles to 149k miles. And I loved it so much that I bought a 2000 9-3 SE with the same body style.

My friend who got waSAABi is very happy with it. Happier than I am with the 9-3.

People would tell me all the time that the V6 is junk, and that I need to buy a turbo Saab. However, the V6 was VERY reliable, and economic (24mpg with AC/CC on all the time). The problems I had with the engine were oil leaks, and twice mechanics' mistakes caused timing belt failures.

The first time they misdiagnosed a TB problem, and the belt jumped and mashed the valves while the car was still in their custody. It was a very obvious mistake, and they paid almost all of the repair (new heads, $7k at the time).

Then, another mechanic forgot to glue the TB cover seal on, and it migrated into the belt. This time I was lucky that the belt only jumped two teeth, and no permanent damage was done.

If you have the latest tensioner, have the seal glued on, and use your ears to listen, you should not have any of these problems at all.

The rest of the car was just incredible - very, very few repairs over all those years; I only remember a washer pump or two, a door lock actuator, and a belt lock on the drivers seat.

It was also better made than my 9-3: The body panels seemed to fit better, and the whole body was clear coated, not just the outside surfaces.

I'd say: Go for it, put the proper engine in it and make sure the timing belt set-up is up-to-date. Then just enjoy the ride. If it's not cornering well enough, you can look at www.genuinesaab.com for some upgrades.

I have not just once wondered why I did not keep this older model for myself... now my friend has the pleasure of enjoying this odd but faithful fellow...

·
Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
817 Posts
Nicole, that was a very eloquent and erudite post you made. I enjoyed reading your comments and it is nice to hear of someone who can sing the praises of the typically scorned (but rarely exalted :confused:) SAAB V6!

·
Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
817 Posts
Right, to be certain, it's GM (European) and a weird oddball 54 degree V6 at that. Following your logic, should we not just call our cars GM and replace our lovely and distinctive hood and trunk emblems with that ugly corporate logo?

I digress.

·
Registered
423 Posts
No because during this period most of of cars are still saab parts.

I dont even really know which logic your talking about. All I said was that the engine was sourced from GM, a pretty objective statement.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
No because during this period most of of cars are still saab parts.

I dont even really know which logic your talking about. All I said was that the engine was sourced from GM, a pretty objective statement.
The floorpan is an Opel floorpan also along with most of the suspension and brakes, you can say the rear brakes are Saab because th

·
Registered
296 Posts
Nicole, that was a very eloquent and erudite post you made. I enjoyed reading your comments and it is nice to hear of someone who can sing the praises of the typically scorned (but rarely exalted :confused:) SAAB V6!
Thanks! The V6 was smoother, better sounding, more economical, and warmed-up itself and the cabin more quickly than the turbo 4-cylinder. No oil sludge issues, no worries about turbos going bad, no grenading pistions from broken MAFs and lean running. Just a few oil leaks (valve covers), and the proper timing belt maintenance.

It's not the engine's fault that people drive until something breaks. There is a reason why manufacturers recomment maintenannce...

Other differences: The 900 SE V6 had a more comfortable ride - the 9-3 SE is too stiff and in constant motion on the freeway; can't absorb short bumps very well. It does handle and brake a lot better, though.

If I had to do it again, I would put new shocks and slightly larger wheels on the old 900 and drive it until it falls apart.

The v6 is not a saab engine, its 100% GM.
True, it's an Opel engine. But by that logic, most of our cars are not Saab but Opel.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Possible bad news guys. If the car has a scrap or junk certificate title, I can't legally put it on the road again. If it's salvage, it's not a problem, don't even have an inspection. I don't know what the title is branded yet, we have yet to find it. Once we do, I'll know. I'll let you guys know, but if it is doomed, I'll let you guys have grabs at the parts on it!

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
It was also better made than my 9-3: The body panels seemed to fit better, and the whole body was clear coated, not just the outside surfaces.
I think that is probably just a variation between cars not a 900/9-3 thing. My 99 9-3 is so amazing on how well the doors close and etc, but various NG900's I've seen are very good on that level also. As for clearcoat, I don't know, all I know is that the clear isn't peeling, yet:lol:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update for you guys. The car has a clear title, but it has been sitting since mid '06 in the yard there. I'll have to pay a $50 charge since the title was never transfered, plus the $5 transfer fee, then retitle it into my name, but it's not branded salvage or any sort.

I will get pics of it as soon as my new camera comes in, ordered it yesterday so it shouldn't be too long.

I do think I'm going to pick this one up though. I'll probably just find another V6 to throw in there, and leave it automatic. While I like manual transmissions so much better, this is going to be more of a winter car, daily driver. It's going to be along road fixing it before it's on the road though. It probably won't be till closer to the end of the year before it sees pavement again. But I'll keep you guys updated on it!

·
Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
817 Posts
Kind of a daunting task here but I see you haven't wavered and it is very likely that you are well equipped mentally (and financially) to resurrect this car. More power to you!

I see what you mean about these cars. They are not ordinary; they're special and the thing I like most is the car I drive is distinctive and it won't be mixed up with any other person's car. I could easily say, "the Saab's mine" and be almost completely certain that it was the only one in the parking lot at that particular time... Not many drive Saabs and I kind of hope that aspect remains with Saab-Spyker's revitalization.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well while driving through the hills around the lake looking for my uncle's a few weeks ago, I came across a house which had two 900/9-3 sedans, and a 900 convertible. I think I'm going to stop in one of these days and have a chat with them about the cars. I believe all were V6 too, but can't be sure. I noticed the vert and one of the sedans had the tree spokes, the other sedan was a confirmed V6, and had the multispokes like I mentioned.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts