SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wipers have been chattering across my windshield lately. I would attribute that to bad wipers but they are fairly new. Anyone know how to fix this? Might it have to do with worn out wiper arm springs or something to that extent?

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Chattering wipers are usually due to the arm being bent (twisted really) from it's normal angle a bit. Try grasping the arm with your left hand and junction of the arm and blade with your right and twisting counter-clockwise. That's for the driver's. But do you see where I am going with this?

·
Registered
725 Posts
bkrell is right - the arm is most likely twisted.

Ideally, the blade should be at a 90 degree angle to the windshield. Picture it as a knife cutting into a loaf of bread.

In colder climates, a buildup of snow and ice at the base of the windshield will twist the arm so that the blade is no longer at a right angle to the windshield.

If they chatter on the upswing, then the blade is too far in front of the arm on the upswing - use a pair of pliers / vice grips to bend the arm so that you move the edge of the blade 'back'.

This is the type of fix that would be bettter explained with a good diagram that my verbal description.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Who knew that wiper blades were so technical? and that people know so much about them? But yeah, these guys are right.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Also making sure that the rubber on the wiper is clean and the glass is clean can sometimes eliminate chattering problems. I use an old, clean rag with soapy water to run up the rubber on the wiper blade. Also, I have notice some sort of rubbery buildup on the windshield sometimes when the wipers run for long periods of time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts