SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on my new (to me) ss for a while and finally have made some decent improvements. These are nice chassis to begin with unlike the last generation 93, however there are some improvements to be found. I was mainly looking for more steering feel and road feedback. The first project was tackle subframe flex. After a couple versions we had a decent solution. No new holes, clears everything and still does the job. Steering feel is nicely improved. Here is a pic.

Nearly installed are HR springs and new rear ARB. Then on to bushings. Certainly needs more power too. Feels like a slug getting out of my modified Viggen, One of these days will get to the power… Nick

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
thats awesome youve started working on an SS nick.. Theres definately a market there for products, but everyone has been concentrating on the ng900/9-3 crowd lately. Im looking forward to seeing what you guys start developing for the SS :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
x-brace

i wonder if you can use the x-brace that can be found on the new convertible? the tech told me that the brace on the convertible should
have been part of the ss sedan too.. to reduce body flex. anybody seen
the brace and know how much it cost?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
jcancio said:
i wonder if you can use the x-brace that can be found on the new convertible? the tech told me that the brace on the convertible should
have been part of the ss sedan too.. to reduce body flex. anybody seen
the brace and know how much it cost?
..would that be why the anit roll bar kit is the same on all models on the Convertible. I know the Aero / Sports chassis kit on the Saloons have an upgraded ARB!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The factory CV brace alone is $270 but you also need many other parts (bolts, bushings...) basically way too expensive. Here you can see the new HR and the rear bar. Can you tell it was a long day yesterday. Steve was ready to go home.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Looking good Nick. I am happy that you are starting to work on the SS. I know a lot of us are just salivating for upgrade opputunities. So what is the affect on ride qulity with the new supports and springs? Did you change out the dampers as well or were the stock left in?

·
Registered
2 Posts
3 pt sub frame brace sig improves handling!

I'm a new member who just acquired a '06 9-3 Aero v6 mt Combi and installed Nick's 3 pt subframe brace. I've installed several strut tower braces over the years (VW, Taurus) w/good improvement in handling (flatter turns & better traction & road feel) but this is my first subframe brace and it has a similar effect to the strut brace and is definitely worth the investment; cornering is definitely flatter. Getting the 3 rivets installed in the subframe holes is not a job for first timers...requires significant strength & precision to avoid error. Thanks for your good work Nick!:D

·
Registered
821 Posts
arb

i would love to install new anti roll bars, for less roll, i have been hearing about the sub frame brace and a lot of people have said the it gives the car less roll, and anyone else back this up from experience?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I know this is an incredibly old post, but I just stumbled upon it.

I actually just recieved the GS 3pt subframe brace and strut tower bar for Christmas (thanks mom and dad, finally after 9 years of asking for car parts for Christmas they listened). I have Megan Racing springs installed on stock struts/shocks, along with 15mm spacers front and back (not that it matters too much).

The improvement in flatness and cornering response was fantastic. I first took the car out with just springs/spacers. Then installed the strut tower brace and took her for a spin. This alone was a great improvement and really made the car feel stiffer. After this I installed the 3pt subframe brace (the rivets were a blast, and not having a lift made it even more fun, thanks to homemade cement ramps I was afforded 2 inches of clearance between the subframe and my nose). This seemed to have an equally beneficial effect on the stiffness of the car. The car stays completely flat around corners and even handles the crappy CT roads with less moaning and groaning.

For the money, I think these two upgrades offer the greatest improvement to handling for our cars. A must have for anybody who has the twisties on the brain.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Wow, Dug this one up from wwwaaayyy back. I agree the strut tower brace and sub-frame connect are a fine improvement to the car and I now tend to overdrive the tires. The Michelin sport a/s plus I have are grossly deficient when pushing the limits. They fold like wet noodles when pushed. Can anyone recommend a better handling tire with the quiteness and wear rating close to the Michelins.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Wow, Dug this one up from wwwaaayyy back. I agree the strut tower brace and sub-frame connect are a fine improvement to the car and I now tend to overdrive the tires. The Michelin sport a/s plus I have are grossly deficient when pushing the limits. They fold like wet noodles when pushed. Can anyone recommend a better handling tire with the quiteness and wear rating close to the Michelins.
That will be very difficult, since the trade off for better performance is 'stickier' tires which have a lower wear rating....

·
Registered
613 Posts
The tread grip is good, the sidewalls have actually folded over in hard cornering, never experienced that in a tire before, usually the tire will slide,but it didn't slide, it folded over.it was an "Oh Crap" moment, quite the pucker factor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
just dont get yokohama pradas, the were LOUD, sucked in the rain, wore like crap, and expensive. I work at a high end shop and ordered my self a set, i'm taking them off and they probably have another summer in them.
LOUD! like bad wheel bearing loud. loud...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
...Nearly installed are HR springs and new rear ARB. Then on to bushings. Certainly needs more power too. Feels like a slug getting out of my modified Viggen, One of these days will get to the power… Nick

What's the story with the ARB anyway? Is an upgraded anti-roll bar a worthy investment on these cars?

·
Registered
249 Posts
What's the story with the ARB anyway? Is an upgraded anti-roll bar a worthy investment on these cars?
did someone say there's an ARB for our 9-3 SS body cars? ;ol;
or does my Turbo X already have an "enhanced" ARB versus other 9-3's ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was interested in the GS 3 point sub frame brace nut the shipping costs to the UK put me off! Sadly it would double the cost

1 - 19 of 19 Posts