SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
One of a great many things that can be improved.:nono;

There is some confusion here.
My three books(Haynes,parts,manual), chuck full of info as they are, do not go into detail very well...

The VIN and the chassis number are the same..

I have seen numbers(similar) to those you have quoted, but cannot find any explanation for their reason for being.
I think they are a truncated VIN...
I'd just go by the VIN..

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
earthworm said:
I have seen numbers(similar) to those you have quoted, but cannot find any explanation for their reason for being.
I think they are a truncated VIN...
I'd just go by the VIN..
Only similarity with my VIN number is last 7 digits. But mine has prefix R instead of S. Could that be it?

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,747 Posts
R is 1994, S is 1995 for the VIN numbers.

So therefore I would go with the chassis change in 1995 - at the vin # specified.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flashheart said:
R is 1994, S is 1995 for the VIN numbers.

So therefore I would go with the chassis change in 1995 - at the vin # specified.

Would you care to explain better? Mine is 1994, and VIN# carry prefix R. Parts I am after are sorted by prefix S and I have two options. -S2012271 or -S7014772

As you indicate "S" is 1995, I am confused now. Why would I go with 1995 specified chassis?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
where are you seeing these part numbers referencing the S? Is it an online supplier where we could take a look? Generally if there is a part - and there are options for year the will say - (or to) SXXXXXXX and SXXXXXXY - (from) - thus symbolizing up to VIN # and from VIN #. from what I am hearing my first guess would be that the part you want would be the one with the lower referenced number....however I would like to look to see.

In this case it seems like they are listing a to and a to# which I do admit is weird.

Additionally I have the Electronic Parts Catalog from SAAB here - so could also reference that.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Why not upgrade to the newer suspension using an improved control arm and stanchion arm setup ? The anti-roll bar may also be involved.

Sometime in '95 was the changeover year.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flashheart said:
where are you seeing these part numbers referencing the S? Is it an online supplier where we could take a look? Generally if there is a part - and there are options for year the will say - (or to) SXXXXXXX and SXXXXXXY - (from) - thus symbolizing up to VIN # and from VIN #. from what I am hearing my first guess would be that the part you want would be the one with the lower referenced number....however I would like to look to see.

In this case it seems like they are listing a to and a to# which I do admit is weird.

Additionally I have the Electronic Parts Catalog from SAAB here - so could also reference that.
Here are the few stores:

http://parts.autopartsonlinecanada.com/parts/apocanada/wizard.jsp?year=1994&make=SA&model=900--004&category=L&part=Control+Arm

And

http://www.autopartsway.ca/AutoParts/wizard.cfm?ID=1994~SA~900--004~All~Control+Arm

And

http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/archsoftware/canadiancarparts/wizard.jsp?partner=cheap&year=1994&make=SA&model=900--004&category=L&part=Control+Arm&partnerSession=80dcb4e5287eae21cb5eb4a776fa8d16

And

http://www.eeuroparts.com/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=4731

And

http://www.pitstopautoparts.com/catalog/buy.php?make_text=saab&model_text=900&ml=900--004&year=1994&part_name=control_arm&brand_name=oeq&r=1&make_code=SA

Thanks for helping. ;oops:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
OK, the eeuroparts site says it all....up to mid 1995. They specifically state up to Vin #'s as you mention - I think the first numeral being a 7 or a 2 is specific to body type of that year. Either way you have a 1994 and would have this arm...

HOWEVER - if you are not the original owner - check to see where the sway bar link mounts to (check the forum here for examples in the thread - and eeuro states where the sway bar mounts to the stantion arm (early) versus control arm (later)) to make sure yours have not been replaced with the improved later model.

IF they have not you might want to consider it - as for similar or same price you could upgrad - GenuineSaab was running a sale for a while on the later ones as a kit. You get the improved handling for about the same price.

I love eeuroparts and thesaabsite and genuinesaab for parts and info - prices are great and you get the RIGHT part when you need it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Flashheart said:
OK, the eeuroparts site says it all....up to mid 1995. They specifically state up to Vin #'s as you mention - I think the first numeral being a 7 or a 2 is specific to body type of that year. Either way you have a 1994 and would have this arm...

HOWEVER - if you are not the original owner - check to see where the sway bar link mounts to (check the forum here for examples in the thread - and eeuro states where the sway bar mounts to the stantion arm (early) versus control arm (later)) to make sure yours have not been replaced with the improved later model.

IF they have not you might want to consider it - as for similar or same price you could upgrad - GenuineSaab was running a sale for a while on the later ones as a kit. You get the improved handling for about the same price.

I love eeuroparts and thesaabsite and genuinesaab for parts and info - prices are great and you get the RIGHT part when you need it.
OK, I got it. I will check my setup. Now it makes sense to me.

Thanks a bunch guys. This site is unbeatable!!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Call saabsite and genuinesaab before placing your order online. As of last month control arms were on back order from Saab and they could not offer the kits. "Saab" said they were working with a supplier to rectify the issue. I'd recommend the upgrade if you can afford it. It made a world of difference on my 94. It's very little extra labor to do the sanction arms and sway bar / mounts once your in that far to replace the control arms. Also check struts and their mounting components as they will be off or nearly off during the replacement. If you are an avid DYI'er with proper tools the complete kit with struts can be done in a day (~4-6 hours).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts