SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was welding on the chasis again, and i got the bright idea to take some pictures lol

I had a brain fart while build the rear box, I DIDN'T TAKE INTO ACCOUNT MY WHEELBASE!!!!?!?

so I have to chop off the rear box again, and lengthen the frame, should be fun...not lol

anyways heres some pics of it, after i was all finished and painted it, there not great, not time hopefully i'll take some pics AS i'm doing it lol

oh btw its being built to accept a 12a rotary mated to a 901 (porsche) transaxle

front suspension is done, but in storage (sry no pics) I had a rear setup but i want to change it now, I'm not sure whether i'm gonna go push or pull bar for the suspension just yet, it'll have disc brakes all the way around 914 fronts with bmw calipers, and 914 rear stock my goal for total weight is 800 pounds with driver, and I'm trying to con ASU out of some carbon fiber for the body, but if not the body will be fiberglass

anyways here it is now lol

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Is this even a saab? Props for the nice setup though

·
Registered
956 Posts
thats awesome! i always wanted to build something like this, keep me posted on your progress, id love to see it! when it gets running how bout some videos

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you wish to make it super deadly then I would recommend a full peripheral port on that 12a. I have one (in an 85 rx7) along with a weber 48 ida. I'm still mounting the oil cooler, installing a large aluminum radiator, fabbing exhaust, wiring ignition, etc. but I should have approx. 270-290hp naturally aspirated. Not bad from the original 101hp.
It's a fair amount of work but I feel it's worth it. I can offer you all the jetting info for the weber and even EGT's to shoot for :)
If you plan on spinning it high and using a lightweight flywheel if may be smart to install a scatter shield. Again, if you want it to scream clearance the sides of the rotors so they don't rub the side housings at high rpm's. The e-shaft will flex.
Oh, and if you want to save a little cash you can use 18 guage wire for the water jacket o-rings. Just put the ends together at the top of the rotor housing and secure them in the groove with GE 100% silicone.
I highly recommend running premix and ditching the oil metering pump as well.
My fully assembled short block (keg) rode home from a buddys house in the passenger seat of my prelude. I picked it up myself and set it there. Then unloaded it by myself when I got home. Nice and light!
Keep us updated with pics!

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
Troll_speed said:
Don't know if you want to go this route or not, but the 1.8T from a VW bolts right up to the tranny from a Boxster.
I'm wondering then if you could set up a 6speed boxster tranny in a VW then? the Golf MK3 doesnt come in a 6speed, my friend was thinking about selling it to buy a newer VeeDub.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Troll_speed said:
Don't know if you want to go this route or not, but the 1.8T from a VW bolts right up to the tranny from a Boxster.
now that would be crazy lol

that would prop work fine too, boxsters a mid engine car, rear engine trannys won't work without a cable shift

I know the onwer of branwood buddies here in town, and even at cost, it would be an extra 500 bucks, for that price alone i could find a good 901 tranny, and as for a pp 12a that would be more than outta control lol.

i might go turbo on it, but even then a 12a with a weber 45dcoe, and a header should be more than plenty fast

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well the vr6 motor you are referring too, is tech. a v6, but its shares a common head

i hate them, i hate the 1.8 too, i've work at vw shops for almost 4 years combined, and the 1.8 likes to bend vavles, and the vr6 while being a v-6 has many electrical problems too

i think 200hp in a 800 pound car will quite sufice lol

4 pounds per hp is good for me

·
Registered
956 Posts
hate to say it but you could also go honda motor. b16 - 160 hp b18 - 170 or 180hp or h22 - 200 hp.. no torque but with something that light that wouldnt be much of a problem really.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
"Scatter Shield" I think I worked out what that is for....... :confused:. It must be worth extra brownie points with the hood open as well :cool:

·
Registered
232 Posts
A scatter shield is simply a shield to catch or deflect fragments in the event your flywheel "shatters"
You can loose limbs by the debris. Some designs are heavy guage steel and fit around the transmission bell housing. Mine is actually a "blanket" made of kevlar that wraps around the bell housing and is secured with straps.
It's really not that aesthetically pleasing but a good safety measure to have on an engine built for high rpm's.
I've heard stories of old dragsters using a couple wraps of heavy duty conveyor belt secured with metal strapping. I'm sure it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sleet said:
hate to say it but you could also go honda motor. b16 - 160 hp b18 - 170 or 180hp or h22 - 200 hp.. no torque but with something that light that wouldnt be much of a problem really.
honda motors rotate backwards. They make kits to take a type 1 tranny and reverse the gears in it so that a honda motor will work

but truthfully i can make more hp from a rotary, plus its compact design and lightweight make it the best choice aside from a motorcycle engine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts