SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the dealership today and inquired about getting my DLR's turned off. After being on hold for ten minutes, I was told that their would be a fee of 48 dollars for this service.

Was I a little naive thinking that they would do this for free with my first oil change? I only have 9000 miles on my 05 Linear so it's still relatively a new car. I explained that I work on a millitary installlation and need to have the DLR's turned off, but the Rep still insisted on the 48 dollar fee. Just wondering if anyone else had to pay for this service too?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
dbuono14 said:
I called the dealership today and inquired about getting my DLR's turned off. After being on hold for ten minutes, I was told that their would be a fee of 48 dollars for this service.

Was I a little naive thinking that they would do this for free with my first oil change? I only have 9000 miles on my 05 Linear so it's still relatively a new car. I explained that I work on a millitary installlation and need to have the DLR's turned off, but the Rep still insisted on the 48 dollar fee. Just wondering if anyone else had to pay for this service too?
Depends on the dealer. I had that done, as well as several other things. I've never been charged for a TECH 2 change. But others have. If you have another dealer nearby, ask them.

Also be advised that there are plenty of dealers that have simply refused to turn the DRL off

·
Registered
193 Posts
My dealer has mademultiple Tech II changes for me. I've never been charged. I requested to have DRL's turned off last week, but changed my mind after I was told that my fog lights would then be on all the time.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Unfortunately, this seems to be something that is not standardized.
Dealer have 2 options in regards to what they consider "odd" or "non-normal" changes (like DRL, Aux-in, enabling the "-" button, comfort close, etc).

Option 1: Perform or not perform the change. They physically can do it it seems like, but some choose not to, for their own reasons.
Option 2: Charge whatever they can get away with. I have been charged $0, $25, $50, and $90 dollers for various Tech II changes I listed above, across 2 different dealers.

I guess ata the end of the day I'd rather have inconsistant dealers instead of a blanket programming that locks out a tech from an option. I choose choice. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
EP Doc said:
My dealer has mademultiple Tech II changes for me. I've never been charged. I requested to have DRL's turned off last week, but changed my mind after I was told that my fog lights would then be on all the time.
That's not the issue. If they turn them off and then keep it on US setting, the fogs won't work at all. If they turn them off and change to "rest of world" setting, the foglights will still work, but will also stay on when the high beams are trrned on (and the reason some dealers won't do it).

Here's a thread w/ the instructions:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12126

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EP DocMy dealer has mademultiple Tech II changes for me. I've never been charged. I requested to have DRL's turned off last week, but changed my mind after I was told that my fog lights would then be on all the time.Sorry guys, I meant DRL's. Anyway, I wasn't aware that turning the DRL's off would leave the fogs on all the time. So doing this would leave the fogs on in the 2nd and 3rd positions for the light switch?

·
Registered
846 Posts
My dealer did not charge me for disabling DRL

However I had 2 xeonon bulbs replaced via warranty within a 6 month time span...so the dealer disabled the DRL to ensure no more premature xenon burn outs

Keep in mind, when DRL gets disabled - you more than likely will loose functionality of your front fog lights. I dont know if this is related to US spec cars when you set the tech II to ROW settings (needed to disable DRL) or if my dealer accidentally disabled the fogs along with DRL. Living in AZ I dont have need for fog lights anyway...but thoes in other climates may

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Energy_AZ said:
My dealer did not charge me for disabling DRL

However I had 2 xeonon bulbs replaced via warranty within a 6 month time span...so the dealer disabled the DRL to ensure no more premature xenon burn outs

Keep in mind, when DRL gets disabled - you more than likely will loose functionality of your front fog lights. I dont know if this is related to US spec cars when you set the tech II to ROW settings (needed to disable DRL) or if my dealer accidentally disabled the fogs along with DRL. Living in AZ I dont have need for fog lights anyway...but thoes in other climates may
You don't have to set to ROW to disable DRL. Only that if you do it in US setting, the foglights won't work either. Sounds like that's what your dealer did...

·
Registered
59 Posts
My dealer charged nothing for Tech II changes. Apparently, I must have the "rest of the world settings" because I have the DRLs disabled, my fog lights work fine and I can operate my high beams and fog lights simultaneously.

·
Registered
22 Posts
indysaaber - was it fishers or indy that took care of you? also how'd you bring it up? was there a particular service tech who was willing to do it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
jonallan said:
indysaaber - was it fishers or indy that took care of you? also how'd you bring it up? was there a particular service tech who was willing to do it?
The Fishers dealership. When I made my 5K mile oil change appointment with the service department, I requested (I was speaking with the service manager) that I wanted to do the Tech II changes and that I wanted the DRLs disabled. When I brought my car in for the service, I once again reiterated with the service manager that I wanted the DRLs disabled. I can't remember the service tech's name that worked on my car; however, the service manager must have given the service tech permission to disable my DRLs. Evidently, disabling the DRLs isn't a big deal with the Fishers dealership.

On the subject of the Fishers dealership, the service department is excellent and very customer friendly. Of course, the sales department is also great, IMO.

By the way, welcome to the board. :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Boy, am I confused! I have the bi-xenons, and I don't see the point in keeping my low beams on constantly as DRL's. My rep at the dealer seems more savvy than most on Tech II.

He was more than happy to disable them, but he told me that the fogs would then be on constantly, even when my headlights were off. That made no sense to me whatsoever. So I just told him to leave the DRL's on. I don't want to be changing my xenons more often than need be(I heard they're not cheap!)

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
SwizzDrums said:
Wats the big deal about the foglights working at same time with highbeams. I think it would look cool if anything....
Blinding oncoming traffic is cool? :roll:
It is illegal in most states for them to be both on.

·
Registered
489 Posts
about the foglights working at same time with highbeams
this is exactly why I felt it was downhill when foglights became readily available to the mass public.

before it became a marketing toy, people who actually took the time and spent the money on installing aftermarket foglights knew what they were for and why one used them.

if you have ever actually driven in fog, you'd understand how ridicules it would be to have the high beams on with the fogs. kinda the same as how stupid it looks to have them on without any fog - especially the rear foglight.

Jaime

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
indysaaber said:
My dealer charged nothing for Tech II changes. Apparently, I must have the "rest of the world settings" because I have the DRLs disabled, my fog lights work fine and I can operate my high beams and fog lights simultaneously.
Same here!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts