SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been chasing an oil leak that is coming from above the sump and think it may have something to do with excess air pressure. So I did the rubber glove test on the oil dip stick and the glove initially blew up, but then after a second or 2 is wanted to be sucked down the dip stick tube. Then I was looking around and i tested the blanked off plug thats near the throttle body end of the charge air pipe / delivery pipe. And with a "finger" cut from the latex glove I noticed quite a lot of air being blown out of this blanked plug. should I be concerned?
The car is a highish milage 2008 9-5 biopower (2.3L automatic) new 0-40w full syn oil and new oil filter.
Should I be concerned with the glove blowing up when I first start the car when its on the oil dip stick tube?
I've cleaned the sump, it wasnt too dirty. Ive changed the oil pressure switch, and replaced all the rubber vacumm hoses with silicone. But I occasionally get the oil pressure light coming on when the engine is warm and i'm at idle, when the idle is increased to 900 rpm or more the light goes away.
Maybe I should take the pcv system off and check it / clean it or even replace it? (its the latest version being a 2008 model)
I look forward to your suggestions

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
You should get a pressure gauge on the oil system ASAP to understand what is going on. when the light flickers it's at about 7PSI and the engine should be pushing about ~25PSI when idling so you are WAY below where it needs to be but probably the minimum safe amount. But at higher RPM if the pressure is only getting to ~10 or so the light will go off but you will not have enough flow.

There are a lot of things that can cause low pressure. Worn oil pump, stuck oil pressure relief valve or worn bearings on the crank and rod bearings specifically.

the good news is that all of these things can be changed with the engine in the car, with the exception of the balance shaft bearings. if those are worn then your only option is engine out and machine shop work.

Get yourself one of those sandwich oil filter adapters and a gauge and get an idea of what the oil pressure really is in teh engine. Take the relief valve out and check for any signs of scoring (and replace if if you find any). Then you're either in for an oil pump or a set of bearings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your fast reply. I've had a look at where the relief valve is, when I undo the bolt will the spring pop out? As theres not much room between the relief valve bolt and the subframe. I was worried that I would not be able to put it back together if I need to push against that spring as theres not much room there.

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
yes, the spring will pop out and yes there is not a lot of room. But it can be done, it's just tight. The spring is not a real strong spring so you can push and turn the cap.
Oh, and on the plug. there is an O-ring inside there that you can replace. The easiest way is to buy the whole bushing from eeuroparts and just take the red retaining ring and the o-ring out of it and toss the rest.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have a look at the relief valve today, maybe its stuck?
As regards the air escaping at the blanked off connector on the charge air pipe does any have any thought on this?
And the glove test? Should it inflate when you first start the motor?

Just love the saab community , I'm sure someone while have some ideas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all. Ive taken the relief valve out and the valve dropped out, so it wasnt stuck. No scoring on the valve either. Next I guess is the oil pump?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts