SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,

Girlfriend's 92 Turbo coupe is starting to rack up issues and I'm falling behind in dealing with them... I'm suspecting the charcoal canister because of a couple of the symptoms lining up...

-Smell of fuel vapors in the car when it's sat for a few hours
-Car is idling high, a little over 1000 rpm
-GF has experienced (several times) the car stall for no apparent reason while she's waiting for a light

My to-do list:

-check for vacuum leaks
-check condition of gas cap
-check charcoal canister and related hoses/connections
-replace fuel filter (overdue)
-Check Turbo bypass/dump valve
-Try to clean AIC
-Try to clean throttle plate
-???

Another question I had was... where can I find a replacement charcoal canister? thesaabsite lists one but not for turbo. Have also found a few threads around the internet in which people have just removed the canister, leaving the valve plugged in and the hose to fuel tank hanging there. I suppose this is an option?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
The odds of the canister being the problem are vanishingly small.
In my career I probably replaced two for causes that weren't crash-related. Raw fuel was pouring out of them (in the old dark ages of pressurized fuel tanks).

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Fuel smell could also be worn out seal on your fuel filler neck.

I once suspected my fuel canister was giving me grief. I swapped out the check valve since the other one had stopped working. Haven't looked lately but I think the valves are still available. I might have found one at a wrecker, can't remember.

The vac hoses at the canister are almost always neglected - be sure to check these when you check the others. Cleaning AMM, AIC, throttle plate are probably good ideas. When were the plugs, wires, cap, rotor last replaced?

Concerning your AIC, these hoses break too and can send your idle up. Check them closely with clamps removed. The clamps can hide breaks in the hose, particularly at the elbows.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jim and SPGreg,

I will look again at the fuel filler. I had checked that a month or so ago when I first noticed the smell but it looked Ok at that time. Gas smell is more noticeable in the cabin vs the trunk

Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor were replaced only a couple of months ago. Also replaced the coil at that time. Initially it resulted in a huge increase in fuel economy (26-30mpg) but lately it's been more like 20.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE: Was able to correct the high idle by replacing some vacuum hoses. Definitely glad I started there... I was driving the car and experienced firsthand the sudden dying though. Engine was decelerating with no load and when it got to idle, it faltered, then revved up to 2000 or so, then recovered. Check engine light went on for 10 seconds, then turned off. Maybe the AIC is a little gummed up and couldn't react? I dunno... still have a lot on my to-do list.

Ran into an issue though... the check valve between the valve cover and the intake needs to be replaced (one of the connectors broke). I have it kind of hooked in there, but is there a cheap replacement for this? thesaabsite wants $15 for one and that seems like a lot for a little plastic thing. eeuroparts has one for $4, but have to pay shipping :( There has to be some common part that fits the bill available locally, right?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found a check valve on fleabay for $10/free shipping. Went for it. Now, back out into the cold cold night to try to clean that AIC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts