SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Spring is here and its time to take off the winter tires and put on that nice sticky summer tread. I just completed this task today, and I was wondering, what are you guys using to change the tires?

I have been using the included wrench and jack in the trunk. The wrench is fine, but I would like a nicer one so that I could get more leverage. Anyone know what size the lug bolts are?

The jack is just a pain in the ***, but it has that notch in it, so I don't know if my options are limited or not? Can I get a regular floor jack and use it on the same spot as the included jack? For those of you who haven't taken a look in your manual (or in your trunk), the jack has a notch it it which locks into a rubber piece on the frame. Is there a floor jack which is better for this kind of car?

I'm just loooking for better solutions for when the winter tires go back on this fall.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Using a floor jack is perfectly fine and easy to use. The lifting points are easy to identify. I don't know the size of the lugs off the top of my head.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
The notched "jack points" are just for complete idiots who have no idea what they're doing. You can put a jack anywhere along the the pinch weld or the subframe. I do the subframe in the front and the pinch weld in the back. I use a regular old floor jack and a cross shaped tire iron.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
The wheel bolts/lugs are 17mm across the top. Best thing to use is an extending wheel bar, but remember to close it when re-tightening, you don't wanna overtorque the bolts.:roll: I've got some new wheels to put on when i get around to it, will post piccys soon.:cool:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey guys, I posted a similar thready in the 9-3 forum, just swapped my wheels for summer.....

Those of you who use floor jacks on the stock jack point/pinch weld - Don't you worry about marring the paint/undercoating? I did mine today, with a wood block wrapped in a towel, and still managed to scrape off some paint. I could see a little bare metal here and there on the jack point. I wiped it off, and applied some touchup to it, and tomorrow I may do a quick spray of undercoat.

DO you guys notice this too? Is it a big deal? Or, am I anal?

And to tighten, I use a torque wrench and torque to 81 ft lbs.

·
Registered
302 Posts
i put on new brake pads today, used the jack in the trunk...

you guys will probably call me an idiot for doing this but; never try to jack up your car on a surface anything short of concrete! i did mine on my gravel driveway and it worked great on one side and then i narrowly avoided being crushed when i jumped out from under the car while doing the other side and the jack slid out.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Seems to be the thing to have done this weekend.....:lol:

I took advantage of the lovely warm spring weather here yesterday and removed my winter use standard MY04 alloys and fitted my 18" Hirsch alloy wheels.:cheesy:

Yup, as said, lugs are 17mm, and I use an extendable breaker bar to remove the lugs.

Manual says lugs to be torqued up to 110Nm.

Always recheck torque setting after driving for a day or so.

I've got a 'professional' floor jack with a good lift range, so I can use the front jack point, under the front subframe, and the rear jack point which is under the bracket which is the rear towing eye. (You do need a high lift jack to make use of this rear point though)

X

·
0 Posts
For ease and speed I purchased a small 2 ton Trolley Jack a couple of years ago. Its so much quicker than playing around with the silly little jacks included in cars. They only cost about £15 / $30 (good for home use)

Finn :)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Finn said:
For ease and speed I purchased a small 2 ton Trolley Jack a couple of years ago...................(good for home use) Finn :)
Good for home use................. you aint never gonna jack up your house with that :nono;

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
WhiteSummer said:
i put on new brake pads today, used the jack in the trunk...

you guys will probably call me an idiot for doing this but; never try to jack up your car on a surface anything short of concrete! i did mine on my gravel driveway and it worked great on one side and then i narrowly avoided being crushed when i jumped out from under the car while doing the other side and the jack slid out.
Always always ALWAYS USE A JACK STAND if you are going to put yourself under the vehicle. I won't go under my car even if it was being held up by a floor jack, and you couldn't pay me to go under it if it was being held up by the trunk jack. And Kermit is right on about using a big piece of wood on surfaces other than concrete.

X

·
0 Posts
joshd2012 said:
So are you using a regular jack and centering it on the jack points? Are you using any buffer between the car and the jack?
I still use the Jack point but I have put a piece of rubber on the jack (Well actually its a small square that I cut out of an old tyre) :cheesy:

Finn :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts