SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I recenlty had to change the key in the battery of my 2001 9-5 and although I was able to find some helpful info here and elsewhere on the internet, I thought maybe I could write a better guide for the community.

First off, before you start you'll need a CR1632 battery. I got mine from these guys. Strip of 5 ought to last a lifetime. Don't go looking locally, aparently Saab keys are the only thing in the US that use these batteries.

Ok, so now that you ordered the battery you're going to need something rougly the size of a paperclip, only stronger. The blunter the end the better, something sharp (Like a sewing machine needle) will just dig into the plastic. You will also need a tiny, flat-head screw driver or other object for prying purposes.

Now, turn the key face down with the key-part facing away from you. On the right side of the key there should be a small hole. Push your blunt object hard into the hole. This will push in on the latch and the back of the key should start coming out, but it probably will not pop out, while you're pushing use your screw driver to dig in and lever the thing out. Now you're home free!

Once inside you can push out the keyless entry circut board from the front pushing on the buttons. Once out you can carefully pop out the old battery and put the new battery in. The old battery had a blue sticker on it. Probably insignifigant, but I transfered it to the new battery just in case.

Now, take the keyless entry slug out to your car and hit unlock 4 times -- this re-syncronizes the key with the car and this way you know it works before you put it all back together.

Finally put the circut board back into the key body and snap the door back on. Done!

Photos here

X

·
0 Posts
saabnc said:
I see them on Ebay all the time for 2001 on, but never for a 99. Can any of them be programmed for any year/model? Or is this something you have to buy at a stealership?? :confused:
Surely if you bought a second hand one from eBay it wouldnt be cut to fit your locks :confused: I always thought it was a stealership thing,,

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Its a dealership thing, thats why they need your VIN no. they have the key profile on record and cut the blanks according to the VIN supplied. The key has to be married to the car via TECH II when the dealer receives it. Beats the hell out of the old Ford lock system, i remember getting into a friends Capri with a front door Yale type key!! :eek:

X

·
0 Posts
Kermits 9-5 said:
i remember getting into a friends Capri with a front door Yale type key!! :eek:
Used to use a screwdriver to start my VW Bug. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Getting keys made with the chip is pretty expensive. Some local key makers will do if for less than the dealer, but since they have to crack the code (which takes time) it is still pretty expensive.

The batteries for these keys are listed on Radio Shack's site if you search for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts