SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ride height change

I deleted my original post some stupid idea about cutting up some standard springs, might have sat lower but lost all its ability to go around corners! Anyway any ideas for lowering just the front .The car sits up a bit high after the 5 speed conversion and ac removal .

·
Registered
251 Posts
:nono;not a good idea cutting up springs unless youve got a death wish... you can get some good lowering spring from the likes of abbott or any half decent motor factors but not sure about the compatability with the sachs shocks no doubt somebody else will be able to shed some more light...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ha ha I know. Will look into that .I only want to return it to original aero height.It looks about an inch to high at the mo.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is **** a good thing?Took a mechanic freind for a drive today and he thought the car handled very well and went like a rocket so think Ill leave springs well alone.

·
Registered
594 Posts
best bet would be to heat the springs while they are compressed however you must know how much to compress them so that you dont end up too low.

·
Registered
251 Posts
mine sits a bit high at the front with standard springs and doesnt handle too bad unless i try to throw it round tight bends round country lanes while being chased by an s8 ;oops: just pull over and let it go and hope to meet it on a straight road...lol:cheesy:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Is **** a good thing?Took a mechanic freind for a drive today and he thought the car handled very well and went like a rocket so think Ill leave springs well alone.
There is a guy looking to take orders for those who want new springs - He is looking for 50 purchasers so he can place an order. Last I saw he had about 20.

There is a thread on here about it somewhere, or it was on the ECUProject.

Price might be an issue.

So your mechanic likes your tune eh!! Not too bad for a standard tune is it.
Better in the manual than an auto, about 17psi compared with 15.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dont bodge it !!!

9000 is generally a fine car but was designed with inherent understeer and quite a primitive rear setup that doesnt help with handling. Dont chop standard springs although they wont kill you, the ride might do u in. Lowering springs a much better option. Better turn in from stiffer front springs. Overall match with firm rear dampers and soft fronts. I have kilens @ 25mm that are way better than aero standard springs, cheap but NOT rubbish. Also have speedparts front strutbrace, Bilstein B4 fr & B6 rear dampers with all rubber bushes up front with HD butterfly bushes and poly rear ARB bushes. Twisty bits at speed are no problem, actually handles now compared with standard and is still comfortable if a little firmer, steering also much more precise. Abbotts match very well with Bilstein B4s all round, if you wish to save some dough. A second saab rear ARB can be clamped on to good effect.

Secondly - the definitive spring for the 9000 was made by Eibach, thankfully theres a guy whos organised a limited production run of 50 with Eibach and their very cheap cos of no profit margin, so being offered at cost. The guys tag is Griffin Dai.

32 of 50 are sold. If u can wait suggest u put ur name down.
I have done so on uk saabs. Would advise changing dampers too.

post and specs here:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184651

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that 9000t5 st 2.5 very comprehensive.I may have to wait till next year regarding suspension or till it fails vehicle fitness test due to leaking shock absorbers and then I ll have to do something!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts