SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big a deal is it to swap out the instrument panel from an lpt 900s (1991) and replace it with the panel from a full turbo including turbo boost gauge (same era...)

Thanks as always....:confused:

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
How big a deal is it to swap out the instrument panel from an lpt 900s (1991) and replace it with the panel from a full turbo including turbo boost gauge (same era...)
Not too bad.

You can keep your old speedo/odometer, keep the mileage the same - the cluster itself dismantles easily (which also means you can get one cheap if the odo's died the usual death...)

You need to remove the main facia, but not the whole dash. Remove the stereo, remove all the buttons. Then remove the four screws coming vertically from the bottom lip - one's hidden by the ashtray. The whole thing wiggles forwards and removes - you need to remove the steering column cowl, IIRC, but not the steering wheel, but it'd give you a bit more room to work. The heater controls are the only other thing that requires thought - the hot/cold has a rod going to the water valve, and the airflow control has a cluster of vac pipes clipped on.

Unclip the speedo cable and multiplugs through the speaker hole, and the cluster unscrews. Might as well replace the low fuel bulb while you're in there - can't get at it with the cluster in the car. Then you just need to run a vac pipe from the inlet manifold to the boost gauge.

Whilst it's all out, you'll probably find that the guides for the fixing screws have come loose due to broken tabs - just superglue them on to the remnants of the tabs. Back in is straightforward enough - make sure all the switch wiring is fed to the right places, and the heater controls are reconnected.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It's not excessively difficult, just time consuming. The first time I did it it took me about an hour and a half.

There is a guide in Bentley about how to remove it. Make sure you label everything that you take off or remember where it goes otherwise you'll be kicking yourself and wondering where that shiny thing goes.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Hmm .. I was about to ask the same question - putting the eurospec dash back in my '87 (it'll make the 8V seem faster with the speed calculated in KPH rather than MPH!):roll:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
changed fuel/temp gauge for turbo/fuel/temp.
It`s easy, just be sure foil and contacts to fuel/temp gauges look similar. no need to swap the whole cluster.

·
Registered
965 Posts
changed fuel/temp gauge for turbo/fuel/temp.
It`s easy, just be sure foil and contacts to fuel/temp gauges look similar. no need to swap the whole cluster.
The right cluster also contains the ABS warning lights. Be sure you get one of the same era. I got one without ABS warning lights and couldn't use it on my '93.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I put a cluster from an '89 turbo into a '93 S model with anti-lock and wondered the same thing. Lo and behold the anti-lock light was in there and works just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts