SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered before but all my searching (hindered by the fact that the word 'oil' is too short to be counted in the search:roll: ) left me with a few questions.

I'm not too keen on the 'suck it out with a turkey baster' idea so I guess I'll be removing the rear of the diff cover. Now my four questions.

1. I understand I'll need a replacement gasket for this, any idea of part number etc?

2. What is the oil capacity of the 'box?

3. Where do I refill the 'box from? I can't see anywhere obvious.

4. This probably sound stupid but when I remove the diff cover how quickly will the oil flow out? With a drain pug it pretty easy to catch all the oil but by removing a larger piece of gearbox I'm worried I'll get a tidal wave of oil onto my face:eek: .

Thanks guys,

Grant.

·
4,637 Posts
Dunno about the gasket. You might get away with using 'blue hylomar' or similar gasket sealer on the old gasket.

Capacity is about 3 litres IIRC

Filling is through the dipstick hole. Down on the side of the gearbox below the exhaust manifold there's a 17mm bolt head. Undo that and there's a dipstick and filler tube.

When you crack the cover off the box, oil will pour out along its length. You could try moving one corner first to localise the flow. In any case, once the flow starts, just hold the plate as it is while it drains. Once the flow slows or stops you can remove the plate entirely.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

About how big is the plate that I must remove? I understand that their are 10 10mm screws to remove. Need to know this so I know what size recepticle to use.

Thanks again,

Grant.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts