SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to just change the 6.5inch speakers on the front door of my 9-5.. The factory 6.5 are they two way speakers or three way speaker..i have a prestige system with 9 speaker but im only looking to get the 6.5 in the front changed..now I check out crutchfield..but im not sure if if the speakers in my car are two way i dont want to buy the wrong speaker..thanks for you help guys.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
The 6.5" driver is designed to play midrange and midbass only... the treble comes out of the dash speakers. There is no point in adding a 2-way or 3-way speaker. First of all because they are usually a POS, second of all because it will actually reduce your midrange and midbass volume due to not matching the stock speaker impedance, and third of all because they won't be playing treble anyways.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stipud said:
The 6.5" driver is designed to play midrange and midbass only... the treble comes out of the dash speakers. There is no point in adding a 2-way or 3-way speaker. First of all because they are usually a POS, second of all because it will actually reduce your midrange and midbass volume due to not matching the stock speaker impedance, and third of all because they won't be playing treble anyways.
I knew this was going to start getting complicated..I will have to by new 6.5 from the dealer then..is that what your saying I dont want to replace my stocks just yet.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
If the mid is blown, you can replace it with another midrange. I just wouldn't recommend doing it with a coaxial speaker. Replacing drivers in a stock system can be a mixed bag... you might improve certain areas while making others worse.

A midrange like this would work, though I am not sure what size would fit. Check your car first before buying.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-374
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-372

Check my signature stereo photos to see the drivers I replaced mine with.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stipud said:
If the mid is blown, you can replace it with another midrange. I just wouldn't recommend doing it with a coaxial speaker. Replacing drivers in a stock system can be a mixed bag... you might improve certain areas while making others worse.

A midrange like this would work, though I am not sure what size would fit. Check your car first before buying.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-374
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-372

Check my signature stereo photos to see the drivers I replaced mine with.
ohh thanks man.. a lot

·
Registered
350 Posts
yea I wanna replace my door speakers for more mid range. I have two 12" subs and they completly overpower the door speakers. It sort of takes me out of the music. The highs are good and I can hear everything over the bass just the door speakers I wonder if they are even working sometimes lol.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Teckniec1999 9-5V6 said:
yea I wanna replace my door speakers for more mid range. I have two 12" subs and they completly overpower the door speakers. It sort of takes me out of the music. The highs are good and I can hear everything over the bass just the door speakers I wonder if they are even working sometimes lol.
Yeah i dont want to put anything thats too heavy like subs right now..maybe in the future. I am focusing on the engine and how the outside of the car look the sound on the inside is already great with the 9 speakers i have in there so im chilling for now. one of my front speaker seems to be going so just wanted to see if i could replace it with something other that stock speakers.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Teckniec1999 9-5V6 said:
Turn the bass boost off on your subs, then turn the gains down until they blend in properly with the front. If they are overpowering your front stage by so much, they are likely turned up way too high and you will drive your amplifier into clipping anyways. This will quickly cause the amplifier or subwoofer to fail, especially if you have inadequate power distribution.

·
Registered
350 Posts
stipud said:
Turn the bass boost off on your subs, then turn the gains down until they blend in properly with the front. If they are overpowering your front stage by so much, they are likely turned up way too high and you will drive your amplifier into clipping anyways. This will quickly cause the amplifier or subwoofer to fail, especially if you have inadequate power distribution.

I have plenty of power. My set up is good my amp and subs aren't going to fail they aren't close to maxing out. and I don't have bass boost

1 - 9 of 9 Posts