SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a pair of 4" polk speakers for my '98 900se because the stock ones were shot... any advice anyone could give me on getting the doors off/ installing the new speakers?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Jake,

Having just done this on my 97, I can tell you it is very straightforward.

All the screws are the same size, I believe they were T25s.

1. You carefully pry apart the door pulls (along the seam), which exposes some torx screws. Remove these.
2. Pry out the round cap behind the interior door handle. It, too, conceals a torx screw that must be removed. The handle can be removed at this point (don't worry, reinstalling it is a piece of cake.
3. Carefully pry off the triangular plastic pieces at the front of each window. On with driver's side, you'll need to carefully unplug the power mirror switch. Take your time so that you don't break any of the clips.
4. There are two torx screws at the bottom middle of the door, about 6" apart, just below the door panel. These need to be removed.
5. In the rear of the door (the portion facing the door jam and latch), you will find a single "pop-it". Carefully push the center "pin" in, then pry the pop-it out.
6. At this point, you can begin to work your way around the door panel, prying it off.

As for the speakers, you are just replacing what is there, so you can use the existing wiring by following this guide:

http://www.ericsaabsite.com/Audio/Speakers.html

You may need to fabricate a means of mounting the speakers since they are smaller than what was there originally.

Reinstallation of the door panel is simply a reverse of the above procedure.

Good luck with your project! :)

-DJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
in a 98 900se.. are you sure? cause i bought them at circut sity and the guy said he was sure they were 4" and they look to be about 4" from what i can see. also, im having trouble getting the plastic triangle pieces off the front of the window.. sure they wont break?

·
Registered
956 Posts
jake88 said:
in a 98 900se.. are you sure? cause i bought them at circut sity and the guy said he was sure they were 4" and they look to be about 4" from what i can see. also, im having trouble getting the plastic triangle pieces off the front of the window.. sure they wont break?
just a little advise, the last two times i went to circuit city or wherever to get speakers, out of curiousity and to reassure myself i checked the sizing there for the doors and both times they were wrong. try to do your research outside those stores first as their info on sizing is not always correct. i know in my 99 9-3 they are 6.5's and ive heard everyone else had 6.5 never 4's in the doors in their 94-2002 900/9-3

·
Registered
727 Posts
sleet said:
just a little advise, the last two times i went to circuit city or wherever to get speakers, out of curiousity and to reassure myself i checked the sizing there for the doors and both times they were wrong. try to do your research outside those stores first as their info on sizing is not always correct. i know in my 99 9-3 they are 6.5's and ive heard everyone else had 6.5 never 4's in the doors in their 94-2002 900/9-3
www.crutchfield.com has a good automated speaker size calculator. Enter in year / make / model, and then click the link for front or rear speakers.

Just used it to see that my 96 SE takes a 6.5" up front.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
jake88 said:
also, im having trouble getting the plastic triangle pieces off the front of the window.. sure they wont break?
They might. They're kind of brittle, and I cracked one of the snaps on my left one when I took it off. The first time I put it back on it was OK, but after I took it off a second time, I had to replace the whole plastic piece.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea hah i think the 4" are a little too small.. thanks. still having trouble trying to get the door off though, it feels/looks like part of the back might be stuck to the door by some sort of glue or something..?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts