SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. Has anyone changed an auto transmission? If so can anyone tell me how hard it was? I've changed a manual transmission on a GM900, but want to know if there is anything to be wary of on an auto 9000 i.e. the extra weight etc. Also, are their any good guides? I've got Haynes and the SAAB workshop manual, but a guide with photos etc. would be great.

Thanks for your help

·
Banned
637 Posts
Haynes is a bit Lame but the OEM manual is decent. You should know by now that the Subframe must come out. a further pain but not overly dificult.
What you should know is that Saab bolts are Prone to shearing off... sad but true. In fact i've never found a car where this happens so often.. and this is with 35 years experience.. Be V carefull with Chassis and Suspension bolts.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I just put in a new autobox in my 1994 9000 CDE. Do you have any specific questions? You have to remove quite a bit of parts to get it out. Like a piece of the subframe. It is not hard but it is lengthy. You have to also remove the bolts holding the torque converter to the flywheel. That was the hardest part.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Saabeh - did you need a transmission jack to get it into place? Only have a few trolley jacks, and i'm slightly worried about getting it into position, given the weight of the thing

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
All you need for the lift in and out of the car is an assortment of jackstands and maybe 1 or 2 jacks. And it helps to have some plywood for leveling the trans while its on the jack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts