SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally i have attempted and succeeded in changing my automatic transmission fluid. I've searched this forum so much trying to find a picture of the 5-speed drain plug but couldn't. If you aren't sure what it looks like, then do a search on google images for "aisin warner drain plug" and one of the first images to come up is from a volvo with a 5 speed tranmission too. Job was a little messy since i underestimated the flow of the fluid from the plug. The plug does face the Catalytic converter, but the arc of the fluid doesnt really hit it.

Now, a couple questions:
Firstly, i was under the assumption that the drain plug didnt have a washer, mine does and it is aluminum. Where can i buy replacements online for this washer for next time?

Secondly, I first had my fluid changed at the dealer about 5-6000 miles ago because the fluid looked a little dark to me. Apparently the fluid was really bad and our mechanic suggested that i have it changed again at 5000 miles (DONE!:D). While i was changing it i was using a gallon(almost 4 liters) jug to catch the fluid because there should only be about 3.5 liters in there... Our mechanic put over 4 quarts (probably 4.1-.2 liters guessing since i spilled everywhere and i had to change containers). I've now put in the correct amount of about 3.5ish liters. Everything feels much MUCH smoother (use to jerk between neutral and drive). Now after a drive, I checked the fluid while the engine was warmed up and running and no fluid even shows up on the dipstick. When the car is off and sits for a few minutes the fluid level on the stick goes sits about right ( a little on the lower end). How can I get an accurate reading on the dip stick? Should i top it up till it sits center on the dipstick even though i've put in 3.5 liters?

Thank you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I hope I can help since I have been working on improving the drivability of my 9-5 Aero since I bought it and have been servicing it to death for the past year.

First off that aluminum washer is available at the dealer which is where I bought a half dozen of them the last time I made my rounds, fairly cheaply if I remember correctly.

To address the fluid situation; these transmissions are pretty robust and the service intervals are relatively long at 60k per flush. I bought my car with 68,000 miles on it and obviously to me the service had never been performed so after doing some research on the net I found that the total capacity is about 8 quarts. When you drain the sump by hand it leaves roughly 4 quarts in the torque converter and drains out 4. What I have been doing is draining out four, filling up with three (to bring my car up to 7) before starting it and letting the car warm up and then after a couple of minutes of idling put it in drive, then reverse, then in drive again with about 10 second intervals of all. The fluid should then read accurately on the stick when you return it to Park and go to the front of the car and pull out the dipstick. At that point I am normally 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart away from properly full.

With the fact that it leaves half of its' capacity in the converter I have been doing my changes like this every 5,000 miles with the intention of the third time being good enough to get the fluid nearly completely clean.

Hopefully that helps and good luck!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Acutally that is exactly how the five speed one looks. http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/2233/img9736gy6.jpg this is the volvo one i was speaking of.

Well i've filled it up with about 3.6 quarts and while the engine is running (after a drive) it stays way low on the dip stick. But after reading the owner's manual, it says that if the temp outside stays below 50 degrees F (it is 30 degrees here)then the reading of the dipstick will be .8 inches (30mm) below normal...I guess i'll keep from topping up so i dont overfill it.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
crap.

I only ordered 3 litres of Genuine Saab fluid from eeuroparts.com. I read somewhere that 3 was fine!

Any advice on ATF filters? DO we have to go genuine Saab?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Firehead said:
then the reading of the dipstick will be .8 inches (30mm) below normal...I guess i'll keep from topping up so i dont overfill it.
Errm .8 inches is 20.3mm

The level is CRITICAL my auto box had approx a quarter of a litre too much and it seemed to hold onto the gears toooooo long before changing. As soon as the level was corrected, no more problems.

Pete

G

·
woywitka said:
crap.

I only ordered 3 litres of Genuine Saab fluid from eeuroparts.com. I read somewhere that 3 was fine!

Any advice on ATF filters? DO we have to go genuine Saab?
You'll definitely need more than 3 liters, mine took about 3 1/2.

Is there a transmission filter on the 5-speed? I guess it must be different from the 4-speed as those don't have any filters to replace.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my bad, 2.54 cm to an inch. I actually thought the manual said 30mm but 20 makes more sense.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
The Automagic has no filter?

THe Automagic takes more than 3 litres of luid?

G

·
woywitka said:
THe Automagic takes more than 3 litres of luid?
yup, even says in the Haynes manual it takes 3.5 litres.

I changed mine 3 times just to get all the old fluid out. The torque converter holds another 3.5 litres which you won't get out by just draining. The first drain was pretty nasty, black looking fluid. After the third drain, it was nice red looking so it seems it got all (or most of) the old fluid out.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, according to my owner's manual ('03 9-5), it says that approximately 3.5 liters of fluid can be drained from the drain plug. So having one more bottle on hand would be a better choice. And i've read here many times that the transmission doesn't have a filter. I remember my old 9000 did though. It says your car is an '01 9-5... i assume that it is the 4 speed auto. I believe those ones use dexron fluid. Im not sure if the genuine saab oil is 3309 or not and i dont know if you can mix with dexron III.

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm having hard time to indentify the exact right fill and drain plugs. Does anybody has any flat picture where it shows the fill in and drain out plugs? I need to change my tanny ASAP and I want make sure one more time by you gusy that the following ATF will do the job for 02 9-5

I also put the link in some other thread. Is it required to change the washer?

The drain plug is the larger bolt at the bottom of the tranny that faces the exhaust. If you are on your back and looking up its on your left. There is no fill plug. You fill via the dip stick tube - so funnel required. Probably best to change washer, but I have not on 3 changes on my 4 speed auto or 1 change on my 5 speeder and no leaks - the washer is not copper so does not crush as much.
P

·
Registered
740 Posts
I need your opinion but didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm in the process of changing tranny fluid (first drain/refill yesterday, next one today and the tomorrow). The car is 2000 V6, so if asks for Dextron III...

There is no Dextron III anymore :( At car store yesterday I had to scratch my head a lot, trying to choose between:

- Castrol Dex/Merc (all GM vehicles prior to 2005; all Ford asking for Mercon; all domestic <US> asking for Dextron III)

and

- Dextron VI (new ATF, superceeding all previous Dextron, including III).

I chose Dex/Merc... good decision? Opinions, please.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Should be just fine.

"CASTROL DEX/MERC DOMESTIC MULTIVEHICLE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID IS FOR USE IN OLDER FORD & GENERAL MOTORS VEHICLES.

• Meets DEXRON®–III H requirements. Also satisfies requirements of DEXRON®, DEXRON®–III, IIE, and II.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts