SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I don't want to pay $500 to have dealer replace my failing power steering pump, I did it myself today. It turns out to be quite easy, because our power steering pump does not have any pulley to mess with.

The new pump and reservior cost $233 plus tax at dealer, which seems to be a really good price compared with the re-manufactured unit without reservior at Autozone for $200.

Removing the pump assembly is very simple: drain reservior, remove three hoses, remove two screws, then the pump comes off. The higher two hoses are very easy to remove and they don't leak fluid. I made a mess when removing the lower hose (the one that attaches to the reservior) because there are lots of oil left in the reservior. The best way to drain all the oil is to hold a small cup under the tip of the lower hose and slowly pull it out. When the cup filles up, you can stop the flow by re-attaching the hose.

The lower hose is pretty hard to remove. I had to use a flat-head screw driver to prey it loose first.

I can see that some kind of seal is broken inside the pump. I don't know how to fix it though so I throw the old pump away. Now I think about it, I should keep it for spare parts.

Installing the new pump is trivial: tighten two screw, attach three hoses, add fluid, jack up car, have someone turn steering wheel from side to side to drive out air.

Warning: don't fill up the reservior. I did and it over flowed when the wheel is turned all the way.

Also I changed my 4-year old battery today. Stupid me left spare battery and jump cable in the trunk when I removed the old battery. Have to put it back in to get trunk to open. The new battery is shorter, but it has a handle that sticks out quite a bit so that the battery cover no longer fit. My car is running without battery cover now. Would that be a problem?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Most interesting abour the PS pump without a pulley...

So how is it driven ?

My Saab (12 years old) seems to be an antique compared to the new ones.
I'd cut the battery handle (if possible) and use the cover. This is used to protect the piece and to control the fumes from the battery...
Most motor vehicles have been battery cover-less for the past 100 years, but this is changing..

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The pump is directly driven off the camshaft.

Leaving the cover off the battery box will expose the battery to higher temperatures which is not good for it. If your battery is the kind I'm thinking of the handle can be removed by bending the plastic tab at the end and pulling it out of the slot. You might have room inside the battery box to stick the handle next to the battery, so you can put it back on and use it to pull the battery back out when it's time to replace it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The new pump and reservior cost $233 plus tax at dealer, which seems to be a really good price compared with the re-manufactured unit without reservior at Autozone for $200.

QUOTE]

where did you find the pump for $233? I can't find it for anything less than $308.

thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts