SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I recently changed the clutch on my 96 Saab 900. I used a lot of the information provided on this forum to get it done. I should add that I have the upgraded shifter linkage as well. The problem that I have is that I cannot get the shifter inside the car to go into gear; I also have no way of knowing which gear the transmission is in. I have read lots about putting a small allen wrench in there to lock it into 4th.
How do I find 4th on the transmission itself without being able to shift inside the car?
I think I messed up here by disconnecting the transmission before locking it in gear.. At the base of my shifter inside the car, the little ball shaped gear is elevated out of it's original position (or it looks like that) since it's been this way since I got the car and shifted just fine, is this part of my problem?

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
The shifter rod on the transmission has 6 positions: 1st-5th gears and neutral. It also has three detent positions: in (2nd, 4th and reverse), ,middle (neutral) and out (1st, 3rd and 5th). To select fourth, rotate the rod to the middle position and push it in. That should be 4th gear... Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts