SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have changed the engine in my car and want to change the tripmeter data so it matches the new engine. How can I do this?
The tripmeter shows around 100000 miles but the new engine has only been driven for 50000 miles...

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Think you'll find the odometer is supposed to be tamper proof, don't think even a dealer can reset them via Tech II. Digital odometer's were introduced to stop people "clocking" cars (winding back the mileage for financial gain). Thats not to say it can't be done, i'm sure somebody has software to do just this its just not strictly legal. Personally i'd keep the paperwork that came with the replacement engine, for proof of true mileage. Don't forget all the rest of the car has done 100K including all the engine ancilleries, winding back to clock to 50K will give a false impression to the true mileage the car has covered. :nono;

X

·
0 Posts
I changed my engine and had similar mileages. When I enquired about the mileometer the garage said it couldnt be changed without replacing it for another one.:confused: However they did write up and stamp my service book to reflect the mileage on the new engine.. :) I guess you could try and find a lower shown mileage from a second hand instrument cluster..

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
There are companies who reset, or alter electronic mileage displays, try your phone book, or do an internet search in your area, a dealer may be able to help too ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts