SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM have superseded the part number for the manual transmission fluid for the F35 5 speed from 88862472 to 19351859 a BOT 303 GL4 fluid. It appears to be a little less viscous (thinner) than the standard fluid we have used, which itself was upgraded in 2008 to a 75W85 instead of 75W95. It sells for around 16 dollars a litre ,
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Manual-Transmission-Fluid-Sae-75W-85-GL4-19351859-P11005.aspx

The OEM fluid is essential in my view for the manual transmission; some labels on the new fluid have it listed as a 70W fluid, but still GL4 which is the important part.

A BITOG member complained of poor shifting with the new fluid, I am always suspicious of anecdotal reviews( lol forums are mostly all anecdotal) but the fact is, GM change specs with a view to improving fuel mileage, they would sell their moms for a tenth of an mpg improvement in CAFE specs...so not sure what to think overall, and in any event the old fluid will phase out of the supply chain I am sure...

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
GM have superseded the part number for the manual transmission fluid for the F35 5 speed from 88862472 to 19351859 a BOT 303 GL4 fluid. It appears to be a little less viscous (thinner) than the standard fluid we have used, which itself was upgraded in 2008 to a 75W85 instead of 75W95. It sells for around 16 dollars a litre ,
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Manual-Transmission-Fluid-Sae-75W-85-GL4-19351859-P11005.aspx

The OEM fluid is essential in my view for the manual transmission; some labels on the new fluid have it listed as a 70W fluid, but still GL4 which is the important part.

A BITOG member complained of poor shifting with the new fluid, I am always suspicious of anecdotal reviews( lol forums are mostly all anecdotal) but the fact is, GM change specs with a view to improving fuel mileage, they would sell their moms for a tenth of an mpg improvement in CAFE specs...so not sure what to think overall, and in any event the old fluid will phase out of the supply chain I am sure...
Good catch Qwik! When a manufacturer goes thinner on gearbox oil, I'm usually suspicious that there are smaller bearings in there that the thicker lube wasn't properly lubricating. Guess it could be something simpler; like GM's vendor phasing out that particular product, etc.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Good to know. I still have a bottle at home when I changed the fluid on my transmission not too long ago, shortly after the synchro on 2nd started going out.

I was planning on using Redline's 75w90 GL5 fluid with my new transmission.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GL4 is the sub category of lubricant needed for this transmission. GL5 will not help you and may in fact hurt it. I see many F35 transmissions wrecked due to wrong oil. More than that wrecked from shock breakage from driver mod/ power hop.

but meh. I would only use OEM fluid if I were you.

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
GL4 is the sub category of lubricant needed for this transmission. GL5 will not help you and may in fact hurt it. I see many F35 transmissions wrecked due to wrong oil. More than that wrecked from shock breakage from driver mod/ power hop.

but meh. I would only use OEM fluid if I were you.
Yeah, I think GL5 is a no-no if the trans calls for GL4 (corrosion issues if my memory serves me). Besides, Redline makes a GL4 (I use it in my Sonett) if you want to go that route anyway.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
Mods, can we sticky this thread? The question keeps coming up here, and in the NG900/OG9-3 forums, and I think it's the definitive answer. (For now.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts