SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was looking at my prefect condition non starting 01 aero because of a bad twice, I also looked at my running 00 aero wagon that needs some work before getting back on the road. I began to think, since everything is "tied" together what would be the chances that I could swap the main computer, the twice, the dice, the ignition and any other device that might be tied into the security and just maybe get that 01 to start without the need for a tech2? I look at it as essentially everything would still match electronically.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Maybe. But if it is even possible it would at least have to be from an exact matching donor car. Same options, same model year-ish, same transmission, same engine, same ESP/TCS, radio, rain sensor/non rain sensor etc etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe. But if it is even possible it would at least have to be from an exact matching donor car. Same options, same model year-ish, same transmission, same engine, same ESP/TCS, radio, rain sensor/non rain sensor etc etc.
The only difference between them is the '01 is a sedan and the '00 is a wagon. They both are Aeros, both 5 speed manual, everything the same. The radio I'm not worried about because it's getting changed anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The estate has a different alarm configuration, rear washer wipe, etc. But you would probably be able to get one of them running.

However, the nause, time and energy required to swap out everything is non trivial (ABS sensor under the handbrake or alarm sensor in the roof lining being just the tip of that iceberg).

Can you not pin down a Tech Ii you can rent or borrow? Or even better try and get your own. I took ages to finally commit to buying one, then took ages to get it working (at least great advice, software, cracks and codes are readily available now though, they weren't when I was struggling).

The clones are getting better and aren't too pricey and even the genuine GM ones are becoming available at sensible prices.

I think I paid about £500 ($800) for mine with CANDI and Saab PCMCIA Card but the clones are half that now on a well known Auction Site.

If you want to keep, maintain or tweak even one Saab they're worth the money, 2 Saabs and you're winning.

And as soon as anyone near you knows you have one you will be much in demand...

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
If you can get your hands on a Tech 2 you can just swap the TWICE and reprogram it and the existing keys so that the car will work. But if you want to keep the second car I'd just get a used TWICE on ebay with one working key and put that one in. Check out the Tech 2 forum, there are list of people who have them that are willing to help. you might find one nearby. (I just married a radio for some guy two days ago)

here's how to do it without changing the ignition switch and door locks.

1: install the TWICE. it's under the seat
2: take the sensor for the immobilizer off of the key (the rubber surround) and pull the wire out enough to get it away from the key slot.
3: take the key that came with the TWICE and put it into the immobilizer sensor. Take the key that turns your ignition and turn the car on
4: use a Tech 2 to program the immobilizer into the TWICE and marry the TWICE to the car

Once the TWICE is married you need to program the keys. Again you will need to trick the TWICE into thinking that the key with the immo chip is turning the car on. (step 3 above) to get into programming mode. Program that "key" back into the system and when the Tech 2 tells you to turn the car off and put in the next key, replace the immobilizer sensor on the key, put your first old key in the ignition and turn it on. Continue as normal and do your extra keys.

You'll now have your original keys from the car (that match the VIN) as well as the key that came with the TWICE programmed into the TWICE. Last time I did this I kept that key and put it in the glove box. If I ever lose the two other keys I'll still have a way in and storing it in the glove box won't do anyone any good since it won't turn the ignition.

I've done this twice now, it works. Oh, make sure that your seat belt warning lights work since that's used in teh programming process to tell you when you're done with some steps.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I did. I stripped and took all my good car and put into a stripped car with accident free body..It was a hassle and a half. I removed the transmission and cables, because that was stuck to the key cylinder which I couldn't figure out how to remove. Eventually I got there. On start up I had a trouble with my transmission, which is a different story. When it was running* I did not get any CELs. So, one car was originally 2.0 and I put in the 2.3 stuff. Would I do it again? No. But I learned a lot about our cars. The things that make me afraid are only the electrics, ie the Ecu and twice and dice and tcms and volt regulators.
*running like $h*t
Also, I kept my good harness, that went over with the engine - it was fine. I actually swapped in the other harness as well, during diagnosis of my error, and they both worked the same and I even replaced it back. Is such a hassle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts