SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

While I had the valve cover off, I took a look at the chain, guides and tensioner. I measured one of the links and it was 3/8" between the pin centers. I took a chain-stretch measurement on the chain between the cam sprockets. The section I measured, if perfect, I think it would be 5.25". It was 1/64" longer. From looking at the parts diagram, I measured approximately a tenth of the chain. If I am correct, I believe the chain has stretched 5/32" overall.

I didn't measure it, but the tensioner looks to be extended beyond the 11mm limit. From looking at it would you guys agree?

From what you can see in the pictures, would you say the rails are OK or need replacing also?
0131201813a.jpg
IMG_0526.JPG
IMG_0533.JPG
0131201813a.jpg
IMG_0526.JPG
IMG_0533.JPG

Thanks

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Take the tensioner out and measure it , I couldnt see the tensioner in the pictures , but if I could thats hit n Miss .
You remove the tensioner by first removing the small Hex (12 or 13mm) in the body of the tensioner there is a spring and a small push rod inside that bolt , Be careful to retrieve it all . If you just undo the large hex (27mm) the tensioner will continue to ratchet out along its pawl as you undo , hence the measurement becomes useless.

You should be able to feel the guides with your fingers and visual , heavy wear is indicated by a pair of parrallel tracks worn into the guide .
Some will suggest rolling a chain in , and that is fine , but I prefer to fit an endless chain and do new guides at the same time.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, if I was better prepared, I could have made some sort of go-nogo gauge while the cover was off for the tensioner. I just thought someone with more experience would be able to judge the guides by looking at the pins in relation to the side ledge. FWIW, the VC rail was not very grooved but was rock hard.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Well, if I was better prepared, I could have made some sort of go-nogo gauge while the cover was off for the tensioner. I just thought someone with more experience would be able to judge the guides by looking at the pins in relation to the side ledge. FWIW, the VC rail was not very grooved but was rock hard.
Well I didnt see anything that alarmed re in the pics of the chain , but its hard to tell from the photos .
Its not to late to do the tensioner measurement , You dont need a go_no go gauge, and you dont get access to it via the valve cover. You do not need to disturd the VC , just remove the tensioner and measure ( after releasing the spring plunger as described , this is the the best indication you will get of the chain stretch and from there you can basically assume a stretched chain is going to have taken its toll on the guides . The tensioner is on the intake side into the head close the timing chain end ,
I say this as I assuming you dont want to remove the VC again , if you do remove the VC you can get a good look and feel on the guides with the tensioner out .

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't think of taking the tensioner out first, as you suggest AUSSIE900, that would have been smart. I did not realize that with the tensioner out, I would be able to inspect the guides also, not just the chain. I was just thinking at the time, that I could measure the stretch like I would do on my road bicycle. Next time, I will check with the Forum before I begin a procedure that I'm not completely sure of. Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I didn't think of taking the tensioner out first, as you suggest AUSSIE900, that would have been smart. I did not realize that with the tensioner out, I would be able to inspect the guides also, not just the chain. I was just thinking at the time, that I could measure the stretch like I would do on my road bicycle. Next time, I will check with the Forum before I begin a procedure that I'm not completely sure of. Thank you for your advice.
As I said , if you are concerned its not too late to measure , can be done at any time and not a big process, no need to disturb VC . Its basically something I always do with these cars when they are new to me and history unknown re the chain . Just a peace of mind thing or alternatively a to do list

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, it is on my to-do list. I have removed the AC bracket enough times on both cars that its removal has changed from agony to mere mild frustration now that I have a technique. Still very hard on the back, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts