SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone that is like me and gets tired of cleaning their wheels every week, I highly recommend getting the ceramic brake pads offered by saab. World of difference and no noticeable change in stopping ability even in this dreary rain filled whether we have been experiencing.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I know they're available for the rear pads, but are they available for the front pads yet?
^^ You mean the opposite? I know they are available for the fronts, thats for sure, because I have them:cool:
wait...so have people here who have changed to ceramics only been changing the front pads? wouldn't this change the brake bias since there's no way they grip exactly the same? i've noticed that at least my brake dust is fairly uniform across all four wheels (which is actually a little odd to me since the fronts see more braking force). i thought that the rear brakes may be softer, which why there may be just as much brake dust as the front. with only the fronts changed to ceramics though, that would look rediculous.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
You must be the only guy with uniform brake dust. My Fronts were the pits with Original OEM, the 2nd Gen are only 50% better but still shyte, I'm keepin Maguires in business...next is EBC all around.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Cojoroh said:
wait...so have people here who have changed to ceramics only been changing the front pads? wouldn't this change the brake bias since there's no way they grip exactly the same? i've noticed that at least my brake dust is fairly uniform across all four wheels (which is actually a little odd to me since the fronts see more braking force). i thought that the rear brakes may be softer, which why there may be just as much brake dust as the front. with only the fronts changed to ceramics though, that would look rediculous.
My fronts are always shining. My rear though...:nono;

Well as to answer your concern about the grip and the brake bias...I'm currently running the "mushiest" brake setup ever. I think the bite feel is the worst I have felt in a while. I really have to get on the pedal to get it to stop as opposed to the OEM feel - much more bite and crisper. All this was delear recommendation.

·
Registered
297 Posts
JonV said:
You must be the only guy with uniform brake dust. My Fronts were the pits with Original OEM, the 2nd Gen are only 50% better but still shyte, I'm keepin Maguires in business...next is EBC all around.
They're no better... at all. The red stuffs are almost as bad as the non organic Saab pads.

As I've explained in previous posts, brake dust it mostly rotor dust, not pad dust.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I beg to differ on that Brake Dust source, I've found Pads make a big difference in Dust. More so than Rotors.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
After switching to front ceramics (i think akebono), though retaining the stock discs, my brake dust is almost non existent on the fronts.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
On my 03' in early 06' I went with the new Akebono pads (Saab) and oem rotors all around.
The dust was a little better but not much.
We've got to get over that euro brake pads emit a LOAD of dust--all of them, MB, BMW, Jag, etc.
Going to a less dusty, harder pad only makes braking less and eats the rotors more. There is a reason for the dust...

·
Registered
250 Posts
what dust??

i'm with vector-ss on this one. i can go weeks without cleaning my front wheels. the ceramic front pads produce almost no dust on my car and brake feel is great. the back pads however are disgusting after 3 or 4 days of normal driving.
i even put ceramic akebono on my 4runner and have no dust and great braking.
there was a rumor of akebono making ceramics for the rear pads but i haven't seen anything else on that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Great to hear about the dust and feel of the brake. I had a 9-2x before and thought the dust was bad with that one. The dust on the 9-3 is horrible our of all cars that I have owned. Ceramics are a must then for the next time.

Cheers
Ken

1 - 12 of 12 Posts