SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My car wouldn't unlock on the electronic key fob. I followed the advice elsewhere on this forum and used the key on the hidden keyhole on the right hand side of the hatchback lid, crawled over the back seat and opened the car manually.

I was expecting the car battery to be flat ... but the car started first time. I then locked and relocked it using the electronic key fob.

So to my question: it looks as though the key opening mechanism had jammed temporarily. Is there anything I can do to stop it happening again?

Thanks

Will

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
I am puzzled why you didn't simply unlock driver's door and get in? Is that a part of the story that's missing?

Making some assumptions, was it the case that the remote button disabled the alarm OK (so you did not trip the alarm when opening the tailgate--assuming UK cars have alarm)? But the driver's door lock didn't work? Did any other doors unlock?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi - I tried the driver's door (the only one with a keyhole apart from the tailgate).

The usual key with electronic fob would go in but not turn, and the spare key would go in *and* turn but not unlock anything.

I reckon using the key in the boot must have disabled the alarm — I must say, I hadn't even thought about the risk of setting it off.

The car has an odd history. Four owners, signs of a respray on the tailgate and driver's door, and I know it was laid up for four years before I acquired it because the previous owner had heart trouble.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a key remote for my 9-3 that I thought was broken I replaced batteries and tried all sorts of things. But then I tried to start the car with it and then it started working normally again. I think it is a SAAB feature to enable key fobs with the ignition switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
I wonder if the problem was that the car was inadvertently put into 'deadlock' mode. We don't get that in North America in 9-5s, but apparently it was a feature in Europe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Working now

Hi - thanks to everyone for your help with this.

What I didn't say originally was that we were about to go on holiday. Fortunately the first incident served as a warning and we took a spare key.

We needed that on the third day when the issue cropped up again. I spent the rest of the holiday crawling in and out the boot to unlock the car, and had to remember when parking to allow enough space for the boot to open.

Crawling over was a real pain. I'm slightly overweight and stretching over the back car seat to reach the back door's lock led to me balancing on my hips and being in perfect equilibrium, swaying gently. It took a lot of effort (and stomach pain and friction burns) to manoeuvre into a position where I could get my legs down, get some purchase and pull myself out.

After watching this three times, and killing herself laughing, my wife said "Why don't you put the back seat down?"

Women, eh? All these bright ideas.

Anyway, the upshot of this story is that when we got home the car went straight to our mechanic who took it to a friend with a "special key machine". All fixed and it only cost £45 ($53).

Best wishes to you all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts