SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone , is the center tail light on the 9000 hatch (where the emblem is) supposed to be lit all the time when headlights are on, or only when braking ?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right , brake light. Is it supposed to be lit when headlights are on when the other brake lights are , or only when braking ?

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Really???
When you saw any brake light lit all time?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes , when headlights are on , brake lights are also lit so cars don’t crash into you at night , and they get brighter when braking.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If you mean the high level brake light at the top of the glass - only comes on when brake pedal is pressed. Your OP mentioned "where the emblem is" which implies in the decor panel which contains the reverse light/key hole etc. There is no centre brake light in there

Doug

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Yes , when headlights are on , brake lights are also lit so cars don’t crash into you at night , and they get brighter when braking.
They are called TAILlights.
Brake lights are lit ONLY when brake pedal is pressed.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Right. But in Non US market 9000's there is a switchable red light for parking and marking of the vehicle during Fog conditions.
It occupies exactly where the Second Reverse light would be.... If there was one

·
Registered
103 Posts
David C beat me to the punch,

but i will add.....

The rear fog light on many cars can look a lot like a brake light, especially as in USA you see very few cars that even come equipped with a rear fog light, so we dont see them often.

I am not sure at all, but I actually think many states and jurisdictions have law language that prohibits use of the rear fog light, again adding to a very easy situation where one thinks its a brake light.

In fact I have even caught myself behind an audi or porsche at highway speeds having to refresh my memory and realize they are riding with their rear fog lights on (probably unbeknownst to them) after wondering for a split second if they dont have a stuck brake light situation....

well you will have to excuse us as they are rare sights in the US in south and mid atlantic, at least, (I cant speak for other areas of country where maybe their use is more popular?)

---on a slight tangent, I had a whale of a time trying to explain to the safety inspector in maryland, when i bought my car from out of state, that my 9000
had only ONE reverse light (not the ubiquitous 2) and that the other light was a rear fog light and that i could not and would not correct that ight to illuminate "white" or "clear".........

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I assume you don't have the owner's manual. They're available to download from various sources. Assuming its a '95 model, see page 92, bottom right if its a CS. If not, look up "Rear Lights" in the index.

Doug

1 - 11 of 11 Posts