SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went down to midas for an estimate on removing the resonator. They told me it'd be better to get a direct fit exhaust system becuase it might screw with the oxygen sensors. Went down to a local shop and they told me 25 bucks to remove it and put some pipe there. Decisions, decisions. The farthest O2 sensor is real close to the resonator, not sure if it will mess with it or cause any ill effects. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
800 Posts
...and if you're looking for more exhaust noise, removing the resonator won't do it. especially with a stock muffler.

but to answer your question, yes you can remove the center resonator without causing any problems. $25 is a good price for the work and straight pipe.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
No, it will pop and rumble a lot more without the center resonator. I replaced mine with a much smaller resonator and I love the noise it makes. I changed the back muffler before the center and it did almost nothing to the noise, just made it louder.

The center muffler is a straight through design, so changing to a pipe won't make the sensors angry.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Raven18940 said:
No, it will pop and rumble a lot more without the center resonator.
if you leave the exhaust system stock and remove only the center resonator, there won't be much of a difference. the piping is too small and the muffler has a lot of baffling.

did you try this before or after you put in your aftermarket muffler?

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
B~P said:
if you leave the exhaust system stock and remove only the center resonator, there won't be much of a difference. the piping is too small and the muffler has a lot of baffling.

did you try this before or after you put in your aftermarket muffler?
This was after my new rear muffler, but the piping is not small, it's almost 2.5 inches.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Raven18940 said:
This was after my new rear muffler, but the piping is not small, it's almost 2.5 inches.
ok, iin that case 'm pretty sure the new muffler made all the difference in your case. and iirc the stock piping is closer to 2.25 than 2.5, minor but when you factor in the length of the exhaust system it makes a difference.

most people who change out only the resonator without changing anything else won't notice much of a difference in sound. i tried this when i first got my aero and couldn't tell a difference.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't done anything yet, i just wanna make it sound a little louder without going to a performance muffler just yet. Taking it slow. The guys at midas seem like they didn't wanna deal with having to mount an aftermarket muffler and would rather just install a direct fit piece. Oh well. I guess i'll probably just do that. But if without a different rear muffler and there is no noticeable difference whats the point i eh? I saw that youtube video too, thats why i decided to do it also, then again the aero has a sportier muffler no? The guy in that video also doesn't state that his muffler is stock or not.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Oh wait, you've got a V6. That's gonna sound crazy burbly as half the cylinders are NA.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Knifemundo said:
I haven't done anything yet, i just wanna make it sound a little louder without going to a performance muffler just yet. Taking it slow. The guys at midas seem like they didn't wanna deal with having to mount an aftermarket muffler and would rather just install a direct fit piece. Oh well. I guess i'll probably just do that. But if without a different rear muffler and there is no noticeable difference whats the point i eh? I saw that youtube video too, thats why i decided to do it also, then again the aero has a sportier muffler no? The guy in that video also doesn't state that his muffler is stock or not.
They want to swap a stock muffler because that is probably all their monkeys are capable of. You could seriously train an infant to replace a stock muffler... you undo one clamp and pull it out, then put the new one in... and TIGHTEN THE CLAMP. Rocket science at it's finest!

Find yourself a decent muffler shop that actually has someone skilled enough to make welds, and get a custom muffler put on. Shouldn't cost very much at all. There is absolutely no point in putting on a new super restrictive stock backbox again, especially considering they cost more than a new catback!

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
cse_20 said:
Sorry I'm missing something, could you please clarify?

CSE_20
Only half the cylinders go through the turbo and turbos muffle the sound of the engine, so it'll be loud.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took the car to check out that damn noise and it turns out 3 of my tires are cupping, doesn't that suck. Later i found out my dad didn't have my rear tires balanced when he put them on till two months later. Wonderful. Anyways, i think i'll take out the center resonator, the technician said it wouldn't interfere at all with the oxygen sensors since it's behind them all. I guess i'll drive it down there over the holiday break and get it removed. The extra exhaust sound might just distract me from that damn annoying tire sound.
As for a custom muffler, what do you guys recommend? What have you used? I heard those magnaflows on youtube and they sound pretty nice, what part number would that be?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts