SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the center grill unit on my 2004 convertible. The chrome is peeling off the original one.
I have the part and was debating whether I should try it myself or let the dealer do it.
Can you remove the center grill piece without taking off the bumper - the surround moulding is integrated into the bumper?.
If there is an easier way can someone step me through it?
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hey mate, I've taken mine out without removing the bumper a couple of times before, but the official instructions suggest that it is necessary to remove the bumper. It's easier to access by doing so, put it that way.

Basically, whether you remove the bumper or not, you have to release a few catches around the outside of the grille that clip into slots on the bumper. I found it easier to start from the bottom, lift the bottom of the grille out and then work up to the top. You can use a small flathead screwdriver to release the catches if necessary.

I think from memory I stuck my fingers into the grille to maneuver whilst pushing on the bumper around the location of the catches to help free them.

It's not too difficult but may need a bit of patience. If you accidentally snap one of the clips you could probably plastic-weld it back on with a soldering iron (which I've done before) but since you're replacing the grille, it probably doesn't matter anyway. Thankfully it's easier to put back in than it is to take out - just make sure all the clips go back into their slots and you'll be good as gold.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts