SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get heat so I assume the thermostat is either stuck closed (not open) or the sending unit is shot - or both. I am going to pull the code tonight.

Does anyone know where the sending unit is located on the 9-5.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The coolant temp sensor is located right in front of the thermostat housing. Based on your description of no gauge movement at all I think the sensor is the culprit. I just recently had thermostat issue myself but did not get a CEL. Temp gauge would read lower than normal at times, especially on freeway. Changing thermostat fixed it!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks, I guess I'll pick up the sensor and the thermostat today. Our local dealership is over two weeks booked for service. Two other Saab dealerships closed.

I was scanning through the forum and it looks like this is a common problem with no clear answer is some cases (changing both parts does not solve anything.)

I wish I had a Chilton or Hayes manual. Maybe someday I guess.

pab95 said:
The coolant temp sensor is located right in front of the thermostat housing. Based on your description of no gauge movement at all I think the sensor is the culprit. I just recently had thermostat issue myself but did not get a CEL. Temp gauge would read lower than normal at times, especially on freeway. Changing thermostat fixed it!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Several post on this recently have pointed to the T-stat (as stated above). THought I should re-affirm to give you some peace of mind.

Feel free to run a search next time, we have had several posts on this in the last few weeks.

Moderator-We should add this to the FAQ's!

Happy Saabing

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure enough when my wife started the car later that day the temp gauge worked just fine.

I picked up the thermostat and the sensor today. What a job to remove that sensor (if you don't want to drain everything.) I was able to get a 19mm offset wrench in to remove it. I hope it's in tight enough when I put the new one in.

I pulled the OBDII code and had the usual P0116.

I thought the thermostat would be in an easy place. Not so. What is involved in replacing it? Do you have to remove the top/main air line (to the throttle body?) Looks like a job for another day I guess.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just replaced mine 2 days ago! Not real easy to get to a couple of the bolts but did manage to eventually get them out. I did not remove the delivery pipe as you suggested. Best approach is to use a socket with an extender and place the wrench all the way to the firewall and come in from there. I believe there are 2 10mm and 2 12mm bolts. Here's a snapshot from the WIS for some additional help!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I am going to give it a try this weekend. BTW: Can you tell me where the drain plug is for the radiator?

Also I noticed on the new thermostat it has a little dimple on it. (Just like on Volvos and maybe others.) It's important to get that facing the right way. I don't know which way it goes and I'm afraid the old thermostat is going to fall out and I won't be able to see it before it does.

I've got to get one of these WIS setups, where do I get it?

·
Registered
230 Posts
raymondjiii said:
Thanks, I am going to give it a try this weekend. BTW: Can you tell me where the drain plug is for the radiator?

Also I noticed on the new thermostat it has a little dimple on it. (Just like on Volvos and maybe others.) It's important to get that facing the right way. I don't know which way it goes and I'm afraid the old thermostat is going to fall out and I won't be able to see it before it does.

I've got to get one of these WIS setups, where do I get it?
Looking down into the engine you can see it right in front of and beneath the battery tray. My plug is light green in color. It's easiest if you reach down from above and use your left hand to turn it. It can also be accessed from below.

The dimple is an air hole and needs to be placed facing up. If yours is like mine I had to hammer the thermostat housing off with the rubber mallet to loosen it.

Good Luck!
Paul

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info I got it done today. Hardest thermostat I ever had to replace.

A couple of tips for anyone doing it in the future:

1.) Don't bother removing the bottom panel under the car. If you have a big enough pan you will catch it as it comes through the holes on the pan.

2.) As the previous poster said try to reach down by the battery and grab the drain plug to open it. Unless you have a very wide arm (aka fat) you should be able to reach it with some minor scratches to your arm.

3.) Take off the main hose completely - it makes things a lot of easier. Do this before even looking at the four bolts on the thermostat housing. I had to beat the hell out of the hose to break it free of the thermostat housing. This also makes installing the temperature sensor a lot easier as well - it's very hard to fit an offset wrench in there but it can be done - I did it the previous night.

4.) Remove the plastic cover around the oil fill cap. Use a screwdriver to pry smaller hoses and electrical cables out of the way behind the thermostat.

5.) Lay you body flat across the top of the engine so that you can look straight down at the thermostat housing. Work the bolts with a small socket or wrench with your right hand (a 12pt wrench works better given the tight space.) One of the previous posters said to get to the bolts from the firewall going back towards the thermostat - that is very difficult to do IMO.

The engine cover makes for a very nice tool holder I must say! Also makes for a place to make a nest with grass and acorns say the squirels outside.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts