SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 9-3 convertible which I picked up a couple of weeks ago, great deal mint condition, 78k miles. I have been driving it everywhere and no issues until today. On the way back home, fuel was low and I wanted to see how far I could take it without having to refuel. My Jeep does a good 8 miles when fuel indicator says 0 so I wanted to test the Saab. I was driving aprox 85 mph, fuel indicator said 7 miles to go on current capacity when car suddenly lost power and check engine light started flashing. Somehow I made it to the shoulder, shut off the engine and waited a couple of minutes. Started back up, went to gas station a mile away and filled up. Then let the car rest for about 15 minutes. Drove the rest of the way home with no issues, a good 25 miles or so. CEL stayed off during the remainder of the trip but then I didnt go over 75 mhp. I am inclined to think this was a misfire due to low fuel but I'll let the experts chime in... ideas anyone?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Your engine probably did misfire. You were definately running on fumes. I think for the CEL to come on because there was no fuel being put through some of your injectors is perfectly reasonable.

You cannot take that DTE information to the bank. I once ran out of gas the same way with about 17 miles to go. Stop and get gas when your fuel light comes on. The computer is not reliable under 30 miles. Drive hard for one mile and it will tell you that you have 12 miles until empty.

In my car: hard city driving =14mpg, careful highway cruising =36mpg.

Be nice to your Saab and put gas in it. At least 89 octane, and not the cheapo brand either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It would appear we are both right. I drove the car today for roughly 70 miles to work with no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Don't forget that the gas in the tank is used to cool the fuel pump. If your pump goes bad, expect to pay $1000 if you can't replace it yourself, or $100 and a few hours if you can. In any event, when the fuel pump fails, you are stuck somewhere on the road... Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts