SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get in the car this morning and drive off. A few minutes later I notice the CEL is on. Hoping that it will go away, I stop and turn the car off for a few minutes. No luck. Still there. Now my delima and it's a big one considering the recent tread regarding problem with detuning PPC - Do I take a chance and de-tune the car before bringing it in or do I leave it as is and hope the dealership doesn't notice it?

The car had been acting sluggishly on cold starts lately and over the weekend I left the door ajar. Other than that I have no explanation for the CEL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
I have a CEL currently as we speak on my car. It has been coming on and off for the past 2 weeks. Dealer didnt do jack about it.
With all honesty i dont think the PPC tuning/detuning is a huge problem (or yet). Some people have had problems here on the forum and i consider that very unlucky. I have tuned and detuned my car for over 10 times maybe with no problems to report...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vector-SS said:
I have a CEL currently as we speak on my car. It has been coming on and off for the past 2 weeks. Dealer didnt do jack about it.
With all honesty i dont think the PPC tuning/detuning is a huge problem (or yet). Some people have had problems here on the forum and i consider that very unlucky. I have tuned and detuned my car for over 10 times maybe with no problems to report...
Have you ever detuned it while having a CEL?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,160 Posts
Not sure if this is true in 100% of the cases, but a code of "MISFIRE CYL 4" clears when detuned.


Oh yeah, did I forget to mention the misfires? :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roddemp said:
I get in the car this morning and drive off. A few minutes later I notice the CEL is on. Hoping that it will go away, I stop and turn the car off for a few minutes. No luck. Still there. Now my delima and it's a big one considering the recent tread regarding problem with detuning PPC - Do I take a chance and de-tune the car before bringing it in or do I leave it as is and hope the dealership doesn't notice it?

The car had been acting sluggishly on cold starts lately and over the weekend I left the door ajar. Other than that I have no explanation for the CEL.
To follow up, the car stalled several times before starting this morning. Again, I get the CEL. Chancing it, I detune the car so I can bring it in for service. Fortunately, the detuning process went well and the CEL cleared. Could the PPC have been causing the CEL? I guess I could re-tune the car to see if I get the CEL. Before doing that I'm bringing it in for service to see if there is something amiss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,410 Posts
Roddemp said:
Could the PPC have been causing the CEL? I guess I could re-tune the car to see if I get the CEL. Before doing that I'm bringing it in for service to see if there is something amiss.
Maybe. There have been some recent threads skirting this issue.

A few questions:
1) Have you done any other mods?
2) What fuel grade are you using?

I think the notice just went out from BSR recommending premium grade fuel for all PPC'd 9-3's. I would strictly follow that recommendation!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ctrlz said:
Maybe. There have been some recent threads skirting this issue.

A few questions:
1) Have you done any other mods?
2) What fuel grade are you using?

I think the notice just went out from BSR recommending premium grade fuel for all PPC'd 9-3's. I would strictly follow that recommendation!
Since installing the PPC, I've consistently used premium grade fuel (93 RON). However, I will admit that over the last month or so I've used an inexpensive fuel addictive to enhance performance. Could that be the problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,410 Posts
Roddemp said:
Since installing the PPC, I've consistently used premium grade fuel (93 RON). However, I will admit that over the last month or so I've used an inexpensive fuel additive to enhance performance. Could that be the problem?
See this recent thread.

BSR now recommends 93 for PPC'd cars.

What's the fuel additive and what's in it? Any alcohol? Does it say anything about affecting catalytic converter performance?

I would try not using the additive. It may be affecting the EGT or oxygen sensor readings in a way T8 doesn't care for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
Have you ever detuned it while having a CEL?
Having a CEL on at that time, i still went on and detuned the car. The check engine light went off and then came back on after approximately 10 minutes. THe funnier part is that for some ****** up reason the drivers door hinge/lock locked up and didnt allow me to shut my door. Had to hold onto the door considering it was a 2 minute drive. I waited a bit and then tried again to press the unluck button on the FOB and to my surprise it worker. weird car. i tried using the actualy key, the lock would go up and down but the hinge/lock on the door would stay the same....
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top