SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9-3 throwing CEL with code P0411

:evil:

OK...anyone know where I can find a check valve for my 9-3 without having to fuss with the dealer? Not having much luck with national autoparts stores (so far)

I would like to 1st have the valve replaced, reset the CEL code and see if that takes care of it. Of course, if the CEL returns with the same code, I likely need to bite the bullet of SAI pump replacement. Obviously with the costs involved, I would rather avoid SAI work if its just a failing check valve.

Or...is this error code only thrown *after* SAI damage has been done?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
I think genuine saab sells it.
Someone posted a link to the part in a recent thread.
Possibly PFS stocks it as well.

P0411 is an SAI flow code.
The CEL probably means there is water in your pump blocking air flow/normal operation. Sorry about that news. The pump may be salvageable, but I would try to get the water out before it starts to rust the bearings.

How many miles on this 2003?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ctrlz said:
I think genuine saab sells it.
Someone posted a link to the part in a recent thread.
Possibly PFS stocks it as well.

P0411 is an SAI flow code.
The CEL probably means there is water in your pump blocking air flow/normal operation. Sorry about that news. The pump may be salvageable, but I would try to get the water out before it starts to rust the bearings.

How many miles on this 2003?
just over 80k miles. I was nervous about the pump, but aware that bad valve causes the condensation/flooding in the pump and hopefull that perhaps changing the valve would take care of it.

I think I did not see this CEL until 80k (dont most 2003 owners see it around 60k?) because I live in a very dry climate which may have slowed condensation?

Yeah - ideally I would replace the valve and somehow get the water out of the pump and hopefully thats the end of that.

How could I drain out the SAI pump? Its in a tricky spot up front

I am just not in a position to cough up $1,100+ in having the dealer take care of this. :cry:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the vendor suggestion guys, but so far unable to find check valve or SAI pump at any of them (pfs, genuine, eEuro, saabsite)

I will keep looking, but it almost seems dealer visit is enevitable. :(

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Energy_AZ said:
How could I drain out the SAI pump? It's in a tricky spot up front
Empty your shop-vac.

Disconnect hose at SAI check valve. Attach shop-vac using whatever adapters, duct tape, etc. make a good seal. Draw the water into your shop-vac. Look inside vac to see how much you got.

This has worked for others. It basically vacuums the water in the same direction the pump normally blows air. Also conveniently collects water without getting anything wet inside the engine bay.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ctrlz said:
Empty your shop-vac.

Disconnect hose at SAI check valve. Attach shop-vac using whatever adapters, duct tape, etc. make a good seal. Draw the water into your shop-vac. Look inside vac to see how much you got.

This has worked for others. It basically vacuums the water in the same direction the pump normally blows air. Also conveniently collects water without getting anything wet inside the engine bay.
Thats it?! Sounds easy enough! Nice - thanks!

BTW - I was able to find the valve and gasket at saabsite using part numbers as search criteria

·
Registered
73 Posts
Energy_AZ said:
Thats it?! Sounds easy enough! Nice - thanks!

BTW - I was able to find the valve and gasket at saabsite using part numbers as search criteria

Energy_AZ where did u find that part number and did you change it - I have the same code error and looking to fix the same issue..

Any addtional info ?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
More P0411 trouble

I have been experiencing a P0411 code for some time and dealership tried to charge me $1200 to replace the SAI pump and valve. They tried to tell me definitively that this was the answer to my problem.

I shopped around found the pump and the valve for about $300 (Saabpartsusa) and had them installed at a local saab shop. Problem fixed so I thought! Next day, start up the car start to drive away and there it is again P0411. Not to mention the old parts that were given back to me did not appear to be damaged, the pump itself was dry, there had been no condensation. I don't know if there was ever anything wrong with it!

What else causes the P0411? I had seen talk of vacuum lines on other forums. I have no idea where to even begin looking for problems. Just tired of the dealership trying to charge me 1000 dollars to fix one problem and not find the next. All the while avoiding any warranty work possible.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Check Your Fuse It is a 60 A fuse in the Trionic fuse box. This is a skinny fuse box located in front of the battery. It contains 4 relays and 4 fuses. The SAI fuse is fuse #1 and is physically larger than the other three.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Agree with Saabnewbie as above.

The other thing to do is listen for the pump running. Really it sounds like a small vacuum cleaner. Once you know what to listen for it is pretty easy to pick out with the hood up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Whoa!!!

I ran across this code recently and I just got the time to check it all out as prescribed on multiple threads here. I am not sure how bad anyone else has run across but I took that tube off and I didn't even need to do the finger check, I could see LUMPS of soot, wet soot, in the outlet. I wonder why the light waited so long? Anyways, I did the blow the water out trick like ctrlz and others are describing except I used a raft pump that had a hose end that fit perfectly in the tube and I blew out nearly 2-1/2 cups of water! I know that I can get that valve for about 80 bucks and that it would only take a couple days to get here and that I don't need my car for the next week so I took the liberty of trying to do a cleaning method for that baby for those who don't want to continue to do an $80 repair every other year or whatever.
...Anyways, I went to the local parts store and looked at possible cleaners, carb cleaner, break cleaner, what have you. I am under the assumption that it is a metal to metal seal being that it is exhaust gas and the hydroscopic tendencies of exposed rubbers. I decided on MAF sensor cleaner as it is somewhat plastic safe as I do not know for sure what all is inside the SAI valve. I removed the valve and sprayed the cleaner in the port that we check for dirt and just kind of let it set in there while I shook it around gently. I noticed initially that the fluid leaked past fairly readily to the other inlet/outlet so I poured it out and repeated a bunch of times. As if now it is much cleaner than originally was and the leaking has been contained to only a few drips. I understand its not perfect yet but better than before. My next attempt is going to be an immersion ultrasonic cleaning of the valve assembly to shake down the soot. I also checked my pump to be sure it still worked and thankfully it still does. Its pushing air on the cold start and it has the vacuum cleaner sound without evidence of metallic rubbing/scoring sound. I will not beable to do the ultrasonic method for a week as my lab is shut down for an intermittent break but I will post results ASAP.
Hopefully some of you have access to these types of machines and can save you and your fellow SAAB'ers some buck.
Happy Holidays :D

BTW, is there a sticky for first time MY03 9-3 owners listing preventative maintenance, I think the SAI discussions could help convince some other folks to check every time the air filter or oil is changed.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have also experienced the same problem. Following the advice from you guys I checked the SAI valve and found soot inside. My dealer told me I need to replace both the pump and the valve and quoted me at $900.

I know the valve needs to be replace but I will definitely disconnect the valve and see if the pump blows or is salvaged before I spend that kind of money.

They also told me I have an internal fault in ECU that can be fixed under warranty but before they do that, they need to do SAI fix :confused:

Comments?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have also experienced the same problem. Following the advice from you guys I checked the SAI valve and found soot inside. My dealer told me I need to replace both the pump and the valve and quoted me at $900.

I know the valve needs to be replace but I will definitely disconnect the valve and see if the pump blows or is salvaged before I spend that kind of money.

They also told me I have an internal fault in ECU that can be fixed under warranty but before they do that, they need to do SAI fix :confused:

Comments?
I took mine to a local repair shop and it only cost me $430.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Jibbajibba,
I would be wary of reusing the check valve. I would not expect you to ever get a decent seal again. Once exhaust gases flow around a non-sealing diaphragm it can heat up and distort. I just serviced a similar valve on my wife's Audi. I cut it open to see how the diaphragm looked. I'll post a picture here tomorrow.

I like your idea of cleaning the valve, but now that I've cut one open I have doubts.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.