SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heres the story...

The turbo on my 2001 2.0L 9-3 gave up with about 99,000 miles on the car (3,000 miles ago) and vomited oil EVERYWHERE in the intake system. I dumped about a whole quart out of the intercooler alone.

I replaced the turbo with a used turbo that was in good shape - no problems according to the previous owner. Everything seemed to be fine upon installation. About 500 miles later I got a P0101 CEL (leaking intake or bad MAF). I boost leak tested the system and fixed one leak in the BOV re-circulation line. I reset the light, but it continues to come back.

The only symptom that I can feel is a "jumping" or stuttering boost when I give it approx 40-60% throttle. If I punch it there is no stuttering, and if I'm barely on it no problem either. Also, this symptom seems worse when the light has been cleared. As soon as the CEL comes on the stuttering problem gets better.

Anyone know how to test my MAF with a multimeter? Does my model have a MAP sensor as well?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Doing a little more research I figured out that I do have both a MAF sensor as well as a MAP sensor. Talking with a few guys at local shops they say the culprit is most likely the MAF sensor just based on the symptoms I am feeling, however there is still nobody who can tell me how to test the MAF....

Anyone out there with a repair manual or access to specs on the MAF?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? That kinda sucks, but at least it answers my question... I guess I'll start looking for a reasonably priced MAF to put in.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
257 Posts
One thought worth considering is that, given the turbo hemorrhaging oil as you say, it might be worth checking that the MAF doesn't simply need to be cleaned. Perhaps it was inundated with oil? If you decide to try cleaning it before you go to the expense of replacing it, bear in mind that it is extremely delicate and sensitive. You don't want to use carb cleaner on it, nor a blast of compressed air. There are MAF-specific products you can use.

http://www.thesaabsite.com/95/95faqs.htm#Air+Flow+Meter+Cleaning

etc

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess i didn't mention this, but when I replaced the turbo I took out the whole intake system and cleaned everything with appropriate cleaner. I suppose more residual oil could have gotten in there since then... Ill try and clean the sensor again. Thnx

another thought I had: Is there any way an exhaust leak could be causing this CEL to come on.... If there is a pre-turbo leak in the exhaust, and the boost fluctuates because of it, could the car misread that as an intake leak?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts