SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a JT 3" exhaust (turbo back) and stage 3 ECU remap at the same time and I am having a tough time isolating the problem. The car runs really well but I cant seem to shake this CEL issue. The tuner send me another ECU with some tweaks that he thought would address the issue but it didnt work. I have 56k original miles on the car... could it legitimately be a bad purge valve? Anything I should try before buying parts? any input/help is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Have you had the codes read to find out what they refer to.
It would take a few minutes at a Saab service agents to get them to read the codes and find exactly what they are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
CEL code P0444 after stage 3......

97CSE-

What did you find that cleared this? I just installed a stage II ecu upgrade using T5Suite 2.0, and I'm throwing the same code with the stage II ecu in. The normal ECU does not throw the code....

Thanks

'97 9000 Aero with a '98 CSE engine transplant.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stage 3 , code P0444

unfortunately I never got the code cleared. I bought a stock ECU (and original spark plugs) and have been running it that way ever since. I honestly dont know what to do next other than to go back to the tuner on it again. I miss the extra power but cant get my wife to ride with me in the car if that CEL is on again... I hope you figure it out ... let me know !! good luck!

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
If the tuned file is the same sw version as the stock one, then its most likely a real evap issue. I have done hundreds of these and the only time I used to get those evap codes was when you would try to run a different sw version as the one that was supposed to be on the car, its all about the purge matrix and that has to be the same or it will throw a cel. If the sw and purge matrix is the same, it should not throw a cel. I would guess the higher boost pressure is causing the evap or purge valve to leak by and that is causing the cel.

Here is what it says, a short in the purge valve, can be checked with scan tool, I would try another purge valve or have it checked to see if there is a intermittent short, maybe the higher staged tune makes the motor rock more and that cause the short.

John

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
If the tuned file is the same sw version as the stock one, then its most likely a real evap issue. I have done hundreds of these and the only time I used to get those evap codes was when you would try to run a different sw version as the one that was supposed to be on the car, its all about the purge matrix and that has to be the same or it will throw a cel. If the sw and purge matrix is the same, it should not throw a cel. I would guess the higher boost pressure is causing the evap or purge valve to leak by and that is causing the cel.

Here is what it says, a short in the purge valve, can be checked with scan tool, I would try another purge valve or have it checked to see if there is a intermittent short, maybe the higher staged tune makes the motor rock more and that cause the short.

John
Great Post - I hope people listen to John about tuning the original software (bin) and not trying to find a "better" bin. As far as I can tell this is one of the first rules Dilemma and the T5 suite boys recommend.

/R

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I just got my CEL read, and it's the P0444 code. I do have a T5Suite2.0 tune in my car, but I use my original software, just tuned to stage three.

Would I be more correct in thinking it's the actual purge valve? I don't even know what it looks like or where it is.

Edit: I'd never remember all the info on the screen, so I took a picture when the dude scanned my car.

What to do? Can I reset it in T5Suite?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I just got my CEL read, and it's the P0444 code. I do have a T5Suite2.0 tune in my car, but I use my original software, just tuned to stage three.
Perfect, I do not know about a purge valve, mind you I did not know about the IAC until recently. I had a car that would stop on idle, cleaned that valve and now all is good. Go google purge valve I am sure you will find it.

·
Super Moderator
3,043 Posts
To reiterate what John said, I dislike tuning a box with a T5Suite provided bin. I had a strange EVAP problem when I tuned someones ECU for a 2.3 in his NG900. He didn't have the original 2.3 box, and when I used what T5Suite claimed was the right bin it caused massive suction in his fuel tank. If anything dump the BIN, make changes, and flash to a new box. I do this with T7 as well and don't have to marry the ECU's with a TechII. I would swap the purge valve with a known good one or possibly do a smoke test...
EDIT: Meh, didn't realize the original posts were from long ago.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
To reiterate what John said, I dislike tuning a box with a T5Suite provided bin. I had a strange EVAP problem when I tuned someones ECU for a 2.3 in his NG900. He didn't have the original 2.3 box, and when I used what T5Suite claimed was the right bin it caused massive suction in his fuel tank. If anything dump the BIN, make changes, and flash to a new box. I do this with T7 as well and don't have to marry the ECU's with a TechII. I would swap the purge valve with a known good one or possibly do a smoke test...
EDIT: Meh, didn't realize the original posts were from long ago.
I am not sure what happened when you got an EVAP problem after you had tuned an ECU. I am thinking it might have been coincidence. I am not an experienced tuner but in the 10 or so I have done I have not seen that.

I use T5 suite and try to use the original bin from the original ecu in the car.
However, twice that has not been possible, so I took a guess and all was good.

/R

·
Super Moderator
3,043 Posts
As soon as I retuned the ECU it fixed the problem almost immediately. I think the original bin was keeping the purge valve open constantly. If you think about it, the engine pulls vacuum on the tank whenever the valve is opened and sucks some of the fumes into the engine, this is for EVAP standards. However, if the valve is always open, over time it could pull full engine vacuum on the tank and cause it to shrink! Just a theory, however it theory it makes sense (atleast to me :cheesy:).
I see you're from NZ, your EVAP controls may be different than ours in the US​

1 - 12 of 12 Posts