SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 900 SE V6 (I know, I know) with 127,000 miles on it. I have a recurring P0432 code - catalyst efficiency low. I have replaced both O2 sensors on that bank to no avail.

In addition, I have a strong odor of fuel in the engine oil. I checked the plugs on the bank with the code, and they are not sooty or oil fouled. I got the car with 126,000 miles on it, so I don't know its history. I've had the valve covers off, and there is absolutely no sludge or varnish in the top end, so I assume regular maintenance was done - or these are recent heads.

Possibly related:
This problem cropped up after the local indie did 125K service and a timing belt change. When the car was picked up, it would barely idle and the CEL came on 100 ft out of the lot. He claimed a couple of vacuum lines were switched. Next day, we discovered a massive oil leak, and the CEL came on again. He said he reset the computer and could not find a leak. A couple of days later, the engine puked much of its oil out of a valve cover gasket. Turns out the intake manifold was re-installed crushing the PCV hose and pressure built up under the valve covers and blew out the o-rings (I fixed this myself - I'm not taking it back to this guy) I now have a scanner to get the codes myself.

Any ideas before I spend $$$ on a catalyst?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
pm me the name of this indy so I know to stay clear. I don't know what to suggest, but if you get stuck, I can reccomend a good indy I use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stromer,

I can't seem to get PM's to work. Not naming any names, but they get their name from the car's country of origin. Near Portland. They came highly recommended - I don't know if they just don't know the V6 very well, or I got some rube mechanic. Half the things I asked for weren't done, and the things that were done went to hell. There was another up your way on 302, but he wouldn't even touch the V6.

Gary

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Talk about sloppy work ...Placing the inlet manifold over a vacuum line takes the cake !
There should have been a massive vacuum leak causing the car not to run !
This is worse than the time I set a English sports car(Triumph ?) valve cover atop a live(when engine off) electrical line...
The road test was fine, but when I pulled the key, I had a near electrical fire...and much embarrassment..

You may need new converters, but find out why first.
If necessary, do the full tune up and service work.
Maybe have the injectors pressure tested..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts