SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the whole story. About a year ago, my 95 900 SE Turbo would flash the CEL on and off intermittently while I was driving. When I checked the code (by turning ignition on), it read 6 blinks for the o2 sensor. So, I dragged my feet for 9 months, while the light eventually just stayed on all the time (I was still getting like 28mpg, so I didn't see a problem...other than the light). So, I got a universal o2 sensor from Ebay, installed it, and the light went out...but came back on after the car warmed up. I then found that one of the wires had broken. I fixed the wire, and replaced the sensor with another new one (same guy from ebay sent it for free!). That kept the light off for a day...I should note, that when I pulled the first new sensor off, it was COVERED with carbon...completely black...is this normal? So, today the light came on...just for fun, I turned the ignition on to see if the code still blinked 6 times. NOPE...it blinks 9 times now, which I find to mean: ECM, internal fault.

What does this mean? Please help. Thanks

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
beetle1bailey said:
when I pulled the first new sensor off, it was COVERED with carbon...completely black...is this normal?
It is when the O2 sensor isn't working. When the O2 sensor is faulty, the engine will default into a rich fuel condition, which would explain your black covered O2 sensor

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Where in PA? If you can find a correct 02 sensor, clean the thread where it goes in, and swap out an ecu from a junker. You may be set. I do have what I think is a good used spare sensor from a 95 900 turbo, but its at home and I'm not stopping back on my way up to Wilkes Barre tonight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm in a small podunk town called Dewart...it's near Williamsport. So...I've got 2 more questions:

By "ECM", it definitely means the Trionic computer? Not just any random electronic control module on the car?

Where is the computer? I think I found it in the center of the car, just under/behind the dash. I unscrewed two fasteners on the passenger side plug...assuming I'd pull an actual connector apart, but i've never seen anything like it...it's just two big shiny metal surfaces that contact each other (about 1 1/2" x 2" rectangle with 4 wires going into it.)

I really did search for this info, but couldn't find much info on my trionic system.

Thanks

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
ECM or ECU are general acronyms for electronic control unit or module or engine control.......

What you found was something else, I believe.
The ECU is shown with about 50 terminals.. There should be some ID affixed.. Nearly every year has some slightly different version.....Haynes gives the location as the right side footwell, by the A pillar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts