SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i had about a 50 mile drive home last night (all highway driving).
about two miles down the road, i realized that at a constant speed, the engine would surge a little bit, and accelerate for a fraction of a second then stop.
then about 5 miles from my house, it felt like the car had stalled going 75 down the highway(felt like i hit the brakes breifly). CEL immediately came on at the same time as it happened. so i get off my exit ramp, and as i slow down, at about 50mph, the car stalls, so i get to the top of the exit ramp(its uphill), so i drop the clutch in 2nd gear to get the engine running again, fires right up. as i pull to a stop and push in the clutch, the car stalls. start it up, clutch in and it stalls. so i managed to get the 500 feet home from there and it stalls again in my driveway.

does anybody know what the cause of my troubles might be. My first guess was the DI, but im really hoping its not. Could it be the Crankshaft Position Sensor since the car seems to run smooth once its moving along as long as i dont let the rpm's drop to idle, cause thats when it stalls.

thanks for any help,
Nick

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
A faulty CPS doesn't normally throw a CEL. A dirty/faulty throttle body or a DI in its death throes is more likely. If you pop the hood is there a strong electrical burning smell? If yes its the DI. The fact you have a CEL means your dealer will be able to pinpoint the exact fault, you don't want to buy a throttle body only to find out its the DI.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, there is a CEL.
i am resetting the ecu since i think its in limp home mode. i took the car to a dealer, and he wanted to charge me 100 bucks to pull a code. so im gonna call another dealer and see if they will pull the code for free/cheaper.

there is no electrical burning smell either, but could it be the DI and not have an electrical burning smell??

Nick

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
It could be in the process of dying....some let go immediately and others splutter on for days sometimes weeks. You could try cleaning the throttle body yourself. If you remove the delivery pipe, you can open the butterfly on top of the body. Spray some carb/injector cleaner down the orifice and clean out with a rag. Do it initially with the engine off/cold and you can then try it whilst running. As soon as you take the delivery pipe off the car will stall, so keep the pipe as snugly shut as you can, and use the straw supplied with the cleaner to spray into the TB.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, i just got back from the dealer. It needs a new throttle body.
The tech. pulled the code(i'll get it in a few and update the post), and then they said that they wanted me to pay almost double the cost of what it is on eeuroparts.com. hah. im gonn try cleaning it, just like someone suggested, and see if that helps.

And yes it was also in limp home mode. but my thought was, if it goes into limp home mode, wouldnt that throw me a CEL since the throttle body isnt acting the way it should??

nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts