SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the MP 3" downpipe last night. I had a few snags but it turned out alright. I drove it for about 100 miles last night and everything was fine. This morning, after it ran for about 2 miles the Check Engine light came on. I hadn't done any excessive boosting or anything of that sort.

I'm guessing its the O2 sensor. From what I've read these are touchy peices and are likely culprits. I really just can't see what else it would be.

I'm going to try to get the code read at AutoZone tomorrow morning but am anxious to hear from some of the experts on here. Any other possibilities? First one to post what turns out to be the culprit wins a used Saab OEM downpipe. :cheesy:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have the same problem (yes i dont have a cat at the moment, but i have a simulator in there...the trouble code I am getting is about the front o2 sensor and not the rear) My CEL keeps coming on...luckily i have a data logger so I can clear the code myself. However it is really starting to get to me. i have already replaced the front o2 sensor. However I bought the universal bosch one from autozone and had to crimp the wires together (tried to solder but the wire is so heat resistant that it does not suck the solder in to the joint).

I am getting really fed up at this point and I am going to try putting the stock DP on just to be sure that it is the 3 inch once causing the problem.

The DP i have from MP is sort of there prototype one the CAT is physically still welded on the pipe but it is hollowed out, because its the one that was on the car that MP dynoed with, and on the way back from the dyno the DI cassette went out and burned out the CAT, long story short, since Me and Rico Know eric, I was able to get the DP.

Altho I may wind up buying anothre one who knows:roll:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I probably should have said that mine does have the cat. I'm basically 95% sure it has to do with the O2 sensor. But assuming there is nothing wrong with the cat, they should be getting good readings. So there must be something wrong with the actual sensor. So I guess I would have to replace this if the code I get back in fact is for the O2 sensor. Good to know that the code would tell you which sensor it is. I didn't know this.

Before I go to 100% sure its the O2 deal, any other possibiliteis? I can't think of any. I mean its not like I screwed with anything else under the hood, I'm not stupid like that :roll:

·
Registered
483 Posts
The only think that i can think of is maybe the DP is not giving the o2 sensor a good enought ground...but since we have 4 wire o2 sensors i didnt think this was an issue.

(I am not getting my CEL because of no CAT..because i have a simulator in the spot of that o2 sensor. the code its giving me is about the front one....Also i do plan on getting a CAT..so all you tree huggers out there are not to worry)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wondering, what brand/model of a datalogger do you have? This is probably a topic for another thread on its own, but I have a feeling my "problem" really isn't too complicated....

·
Registered
147 Posts
WyldSaabMan said:
(I am not getting my CEL because of no CAT..because i have a simulator in the spot of that o2 sensor.

Please give me some more info regarding this "Simulator". I am having problems with my BSR Stage 3 as they cannot alter their software to run without a CAT so I'm getting CAT Failure CEL's all the time.

Jules

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I couldn't find the AutoZone in Portland! Gah! Freaking mapquest! Either that or the town for not labeling their streets. Anyways, I am still driving around with the CEL for now.

I'm actually looking for some reassurance here....I am taking off on a little trip up north, about 4.5 hours worth tomorrow, then on wed, heading west, about 3.5 hours. So a lot of driving to say the least. Should I be concerned at all? The car really is driving better than ever as far as I can tell. Like I said before, I'm 95% sure its just a finiky O2 sensor.

My only other idea is to try a different auto parts store. Its too late to call em now, but do these other places do the OBD II readings? I don't mind paying a fee (small) if I have to. I'm thinking NAPA, Pep Boys, VIP, Advanced Auto. Anybody know about these places? Thanks!

·
Registered
487 Posts
tell you what stromer. i'll swap you cars for you trip :lol:

id try advanced auto parts. i can tell you how to get to the auto zone in bidiford. but i dont know if that helps you. as for the CEL, i would assume as you did that the o2 sensor is the cultrit. obviously the code will tell you more.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Biddeford is the wrong direction...I'm probably just gonna try one of the other sotres. Advanced is always pretty good to me. They all must do this service. Like I said, I wouldn't mind a little surcharge.

But no car swaps :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
My O2 sensors went out after I installed the DP as well. Replaced them both now. No CEL's. There was a thread on this a while back on the high number of O2 sensors going bad after the DP install. I haven't heard any reasoning as of yet as to why this happens though.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, if when I (eventually) get the code read it tells me afaulty O2 then I'll replace em both. So I soppose you just sodder them in, eh? eeuroparts.com have these sensors for the best price?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Im about to be doing this too, pretty sure my front o2 is fading.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you ever sodder (sauder?) before mark? I'm imagining how much this could suck. Being that I don't have a gun, have only done the process once, and that was on stereo wires that were on a cement floor, not in an engine bay.

·
Registered
483 Posts
soldering is pretty easy I do it alot everything from modding X-boxes to car steros and such, However I tried soldering o2 sensors wires and had a hell of a time. After I couldnt get it with my iron I took out the soldering gun...I still had a hard time with this, the reason for this (at least what i believe the reason is) is the wire is so heat resistant, that the wire does not heat up enough to suck the solder in to the joint by capilery action, maybe some plumbing flux could help, but i just wound up crimping the wires together

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was thinking of at least pricing out the whole thing from a dealer. By whole thing I mean the sensor, and the wire, and the connector so that it can be replaced as one whole peice. When I did the install, I unkooked each sensor way up by the intake tube by the throttle body area. There were little clips and you could unhook each sensor wire. This is all pretty much one peice, so the dealer must have them, right?

·
Registered
483 Posts
yea you can get them all one piece, the one i bought was the universal bosch one from AutoZone

the complete assembly can be had from eeuroparts

check it out here

eeuroparts is great to deal with and they have free shipping when the order is over 39 dollars, also there based in CT, so for me its great cause stuff comes the next day, bur it shouldnt talk to long to get up to maine

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ooohhhh, $150 for the front, and $130 for the rear....I think I'll wait sure which sensor is failing before I order. That's not too bad though, as it should be a lot easier to install this way. I'll price out how much just a regular sensor at my auto parts store would be.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
stromer said:
Ooohhhh, $150 for the front, and $130 for the rear....I think I'll wait sure which sensor is failing before I order. That's not too bad though, as it should be a lot easier to install this way. I'll price out how much just a regular sensor at my auto parts store would be.
Be glad that is all for those. Mine were comsiderably higher. For some reason, the O2 sensors for the mid year change in '99 were expensive. The front cost me over $200, the rear was $150. The Eeuroparts one have the connector on them so no soldering is required. The universal sone would need to be soldered in. I went the safe route(but paid for it) as I have heard of problems with some when soldering. There have been reports of requiring more re-soldering at the ecu due to high resistance of the sensors themselves. If it is just showing up as O2 sensor fault then you're okay but if it is also showing as lean mixture and O2 sensor faults, then there might be more reuquired. Just FYI...

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd still like to hear of some more insight as to why this problem came up. Did I damage the sensor during the install? I don't see this is a problem because I was very careful when handling the sensor not to touch the rubber-ish grey tip. I dunno, maybe its out of my control.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts