SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the cd player on my 05 linear is text capable, yet when i play cds i know have text (i tested them in my friends toyota) I still only get the "play" and track number. The radio scrolls song titles. Anyone know anything about this. Should my cd's that are capable have a scrolling text? Is there something I can do? Any help would be appriciated...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
You only get CD text in the select track menu of the CD. The text only comes up as a track list and does not appear or scroll in the SID window ever (to my knowledge).

Try reading the FAQs, I think it is covered in their several times.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Adam is correct. The only way to see your song titles is through the "Change Track" option on the radio. This annoyed me a first but it's not that big of a deal now... generally I know what the song is when I hear it, and if I want to switch to another song having the titles in the change menu helps out alot.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
inertia93 said:
I noticed the cd player on my 05 linear is text capable, yet when i play cds i know have text (i tested them in my friends toyota) I still only get the "play" and track number. The radio scrolls song titles. Anyone know anything about this. Should my cd's that are capable have a scrolling text? Is there something I can do? Any help would be appriciated...
This is a safety decision SAAB's safety engineers made. They wanted to minimize driver distraction and so they made sure the title didn't scroll. There is an early post by a SAAB employee in Sweden that talks about this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob in Atlanta said:
This is a safety decision SAAB's safety engineers made. They wanted to minimize driver distraction and so they made sure the title didn't scroll. There is an early post by a SAAB employee in Sweden that talks about this.
Hmmm... They give a good reason, negated by the fact that the radio stations still scroll... The general's at it again...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Truth be told it was probably as simple as the amount of programming time I would take to display the information was deemed not worth it. The radio was probably designed from the beginning to show the information on the display when your at the "main" view, but if they began coding the cd portion with the text inside a menu, who knows what kinda of bloated or buggy code it would have required to show it outside the menu without once again starting over.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Are the song titles visible on most CD's? I have yet to put a CD in that show the song titles when I choose "Change Track". All I see are Track 1, Track 2, etc...

Is there a defect with my radio?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
clarkkent said:
Are the song titles visible on most CD's? I have yet to put a CD in that show the song titles when I choose "Change Track". All I see are Track 1, Track 2, etc...

Is there a defect with my radio?
Very few CDs have this burned into them.. Usually folks get this to work by burning their pwn CDs & putting in track names.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yea, some CD's have it some don't. I am usually surprised at which artists do add this in, its not the label but the artist it seems that have this setup.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New modest mouse cd is coded with text, still can't figure out how to see it on my saab. Not really a big deal though i guess...:cry:

·
Registered
679 Posts
inertia93 said:
New modest mouse cd is coded with text, still can't figure out how to see it on my saab. Not really a big deal though i guess...:cry:
Humm... I guess you need the upgraded stereo to first get the little window on the face of the dashboard where you can view your radio stations saved and also the cd text if you go click on CD then change track. I guess if you have the base stereo you can't view it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts