SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
This unfortunately is a fairly common problem with the 9-3 SS CD player. (Another issue is the CD player "skipping" when playing CDs when it's below 30 degrees F.) The "not ejecting" issue has happened to me a few times in the past 2 years (I've got a 2004 9-3 Aero). If I disconnect the battery for a few minutes....and then hook it back up..... the CD player seems to work fine again. Hopefully that "trick" will work for you. Good luck, Randy

·
Registered
168 Posts
I noticed the same thing, when I first start my car and its cold outside the cd is skipping. I thought I have to get the laser cleaned with a disc cleaner but that didn't help. Is there a remedy for this because its pissing me off. Thanks!!:D

·
Registered
489 Posts
i had the same issue
this is the problem:
the plastic trim of the cd unit gets deformed from heat and stuff, and so the cd 'hits' the edge of the plastic and it gets stuck. you have to take the cd unit out, take off the plastic cover and see if it hits the top or bottom side. try and bend it a bit... this is what i did and it worked for me. never had a cd stuck in the drive since.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Thanks for this guys.
I've had this problem since I've had the car. I even bought the aux-input cable because I was tired of it, but the dealers around here are outrageous as for getting the damn thing enabled.

I'll have to try the removal and beding and what not.

I'll let ya know how it goes whenever i have to opportunity

·
Registered
13 Posts
You may be running into the same situation I had. None of the suggestions here worked (though they were greatly appreciated), so I had to take matters into my own hands. In my case, there was a small plastic piece that had broken off. These instructions are for a single-disc CD player. I'm sure the mechanism for the multi-disc changer is different.

1. Start by removing the CD player from the car. There are other threads on how to do this, but if you can't find them, PM me.

2. Remove the faceplate and metal cover from the CD player and you should see something like the picture below. Remove the screws circled in red.

Now turn the player on its side so you see something like the picture below. Remove the screws circled in red.

Separate the mechanism from the outer shell. Be careful that you don't tear the ribbon cable. The problem area is circled.

Here's a close-up of the area. I tried hot glue the first time, so that's why it's blurry. FYI: Hot glue doesn't work.

Below is a picture of me holding the broken piece with some tweezers. As you see, the part where the screw goes has completely broken off from the rest of the gear cover. The pressure from the ejection mechanism just lifts the gears up because the gear cover is no longer holding them down. That is the clicking noise you're hearing when you try to eject your CD.

Now for the fix. First, I re-aligned the gears that were out of whack (the small slider attached to the spring by the largest gear had hopped up above its rail). I then used a product called FastSteel to bond the gear cover with the metal frame. JB Weld would probably work, as well. It may not be pretty, but it works and it's very solid. Hopefully this helps somebody else out because I know how much this drove me nuts before I fixed it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
wow great write up

·
Registered
13 Posts
post a pic of the puller tool to pull the cd player i cant find it.
Actually, I just used 2 butter knives as my puller tool :) You can pry the climate controls out with a butter knife, which gives you access to the two clips holding the cd player in. Just slide a butter knife between the frame and the clip on each side and then the player should just slide right out. Be sure not to pull too hard on it until you reach behind and pull out the optical cable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's some fix you pulled off....how long has it been holding up for?

Sean
Just a month so far. It's survived various cold and warm days here in Colorado. I intentionally ejected and re-inserted a CD a bunch of times when it got really cold one night just to make sure it would hold. That FastSteel is some pretty strong stuff, so I would be surprised if it breaks again.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I got the "clicking" for awhile as well in my 6 disc in dash. Now, the car simply doesn't know there's a CD player installed, and the SID says "Disc Eject Error" and then "No CD" when using the SRC button. I installed the Aux input myself and had the dealership enable it. Much easier to deal with.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Finally fixed the CD player using a doubled up slice of tin can, drilled, bent and glued to the plastic cover with Locktite Plastic Bond. Not elegant, but effective.
Used a 3" Bondo spreader to remove the climate control..worked perfect.
Used two wooden kabob skewers flattened with a wood chisel to remove the CD player. No problem
Had to remove the unit 3x though because it seemed to be dead. Re-read aaronlindstrom's instructions and checked the gears. Ended up pushing the long slide located against case, parallel to the linear sliding gear that aaronlindstrom had to reset. Check his last pic. I pulled it forward until the CD carriage popped back up into position. I'd dislodged the CD while I had in apart and must have thrown everything out of wack. Don't do that and save yourself some grief. Works great now.
Also cleaned the CD reader.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had the CD stuck in my player after changing failed battery. Here is what I tried so far:

1. I tried disconnecting battery again with no luck.
2. I pulled the CD out by:
- half-inserting another CD
- pushing the stuck CD down
- pushing eject button, pulling the second CD out and stuck one with it.
3. I pulled the CD player out and the plastic gear cover seems fine (nothing is broken).
4. Next, I will try to take the front plate of the player out so I can see better the CD movement.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? What is the correct position of slide and linear gear when CD player is empty?

I have impression that something is bent just because when stuck CD is pushed down (with another CD or any other thin object), it comes out. I can reproduce this behavior.

Thank you

Finally fixed the CD player using a doubled up slice of tin can, drilled, bent and glued to the plastic cover with Locktite Plastic Bond. Not elegant, but effective.
Used a 3" Bondo spreader to remove the climate control..worked perfect.
Used two wooden kabob skewers flattened with a wood chisel to remove the CD player. No problem
Had to remove the unit 3x though because it seemed to be dead. Re-read aaronlindstrom's instructions and checked the gears. Ended up pushing the long slide located against case, parallel to the linear sliding gear that aaronlindstrom had to reset. Check his last pic. I pulled it forward until the CD carriage popped back up into position. I'd dislodged the CD while I had in apart and must have thrown everything out of wack. Don't do that and save yourself some grief. Works great now.
Also cleaned the CD reader.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This has happened to me to. But I find that when I hit eject the display reads no cd. Then I cant get the cd to play again.If I wait a day or so, the cd will magically eject when I am not around.

This must be one saab quirk. lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.