SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm calling for the help of any US Saab-central members. I need a new Spindle Motor for the 6 CD Changer fitted to my 9-3 Convertible Aero. The Changer is a Clarion PU-2426A and the Spindle Motor part number is SMA-196-100.

It isn't available in the UK and US stockists won't dispatch to me in the UK. Clarion won't help either, seem they would rather I spent £200 on a new unit.

Basically, I'm asking anyone in the US if they can order the part for delivery to them and then dispatch it to me. Natually I will cover all cost plus extra for a few beers.

Please PM me is you can help me with this.

Below is a link to a supplier's list of parts available for the PU-2426A changer. I just need a Spindle Motor.

http://www.pacparts.com/model.cfm?C...tart=1&src_model_id=pu-2426A&action=list_part

Please, please, can someone help

Thanks

Ady

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
I need a new Spindle Motor for the 6 CD Changer fitted to my 9-3 Convertible Aero. The Changer is a Clarion PU-2426A and the Spindle Motor part number is SMA-196-100.
them and then dispatch it to me. Natually I will cover all cost plus extra
http://www.pacparts.com/model.cfm?C...tart=1&src_model_id=pu-2426A&action=list_part
I'm glad you got it sorted. How did you go about contacting Clarion?

I am impressed that you were able to locate the Clarion model number for the changer used in the Saab. Is that stamped on the unit, or did you use a cross-referencing source?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sent an enquiry from their website and they told me whey wouldn't supply parts for units factory fitted to cars and that I would I have to contact Saab.

That result in a quote for around £250 all in for a replacement changer.

Managed to find a .pdf service manual for the unit and from that was able to find the Clarion part number for the Spindle Motor. Incidently, 'CD Error' on SID is usually as a result of the Spindle Motor failing to spin the disc and is confirmed by operating the unit with the cover off. If the disc doesn't spin unaided when CD is selected, either the motor or motor controller are at fault. The motor is easy and cost effective to replace.

Anyway, contacted Clarion again on their website. This time they told me they couldn't supply any parts but could repair the unit under an exchange program and gave a telephone number for me to arrange this.

I used the phone number to order the part I wanted. (bloody cheek eh?!) Amount saved: £230! Look on the steeler's face right now? PRICELESS! Look on Clarion's face right now? Couldn't give a s**t!

Phone Number for Clarion Service is: 01285 861861 and as soon as I find the Service Manual, I'll attach it to this thread.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
That's great work!

I found in the past that the first signs of spindle motor failure are CD's skipping on the outer tracks. This is due to wear of the bearing and not electrical failure, which you seem to have experienced. The disc wobble is more extreme at the outer tracks when the bearing fails. Always ended up replacing the CD player as these were home units. So when my single CD players wore out, I upgraded to 5-disc changers. Now you can't even give CD changers away as everybody wants DVD changers!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine would come up with 'CD Error' very infrequently but suffered no jumping. The error message got worse until it stopped working altogether. If you could 'kick start' the disc spinning, it would work. The motor appears electrically fine but I've had this before with 'safe' motors with Central Locking units. The motor would spin fine with no physical load but didn't work under normal load conditions. Replacing those motors in two doors cost around £6 from Maplins but saved me hundreds.

I have attached a pic of the label on the CD Changer. It shows both the Clarion Model Number and the Saab Part Number. I've lost the .pdf service manual on my system but the Spindle Motor part number is SMA-185-100

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am shocked to see that the CD changer is actually made in Japan! Very rare to find electronics made in Japan nowadays. Most of these low cost OEM products are made in China or Malaysia. Regardless, Japanese or not, these changers are $hit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regardless, Japanese or not, these changers are $hit.
Yeah, You're not wrong. I really like my car but can't remember when I last listened to some decent tunes with faffing about with Mp3 players in the Aux socket.

Could do with a changer with mp3 disc compatibility preferably DVD or even a hard drive unit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clarion 6 Disc CD Changer Service Manual

I have managed to get the Service Manual for the 6 Disc CD Changer (Clarion PU-2426A).

I can't put it on the forum as promised as, at 4.58 Mb, it's too large but, if anyone wants it, I can email it too them directly.

Please PM me if you want this file.

Please be paitient if I don't do this immediatly as I am a UK Serviceman who spends a long periods away from any form of internet connectivity!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts