SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys.

I have a 04 SAAB 9-3 Aero

Ok problem is when its cold out 50Deg's F or colder the cd changer skills really bad untill car is totaly warmed up... Bad part is I live in South Dakota... Right now its only 5 deg's out.. BRRrrrr So I have to deal with this problem all winter, anyone else have this problem?

Yes i did use a lazer lens cleaner.

Thanks for any help...

oh also should i take the thing out and look to see if anything looks outa place?

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
Almost everyone with the 6-disc has this problem. Couple that with the awful stereo sound and it's alltogether a disappointment.

·
Registered
821 Posts
same problem here, no long term quick fixes either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh really. My sound is fantastic.. super crisp highs and lows are good. but they make my passenger side window switch vibrate and thats kinda annoying. but other than that i love everything jsut the fact that is skips... Does anyone know of a fix for this. I can get a new saab 6 disk for $717.28

·
Registered
821 Posts
yea its very pricey, and also i believe you need the dealer to "Marry" the changer to the car because of the anti-theft.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I work at a bmw mercedes store. so i think they can do that here.... I might just have the guys take the cd player out and take it apart make sure theres nothing in it. or something.

·
Super Moderator
9,438 Posts
Only saab dealer or indys will have the programming software to marry or divorce from the car..

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
I might just have the guys take the cd player out and take it apart make sure theres nothing in it. or something.
Probably nothing in it. I plan to take mine apart one of these days. I suspect the problem stems from the vibration damping mechanism. Many of these units suspend the player mechanism with rubber devices similar to bushings. The idea is the player kind of floats within the outer housing of the changer. When the temperature drops the rubber becomes less flexible and your shock-absorber becomes a shock-transmitter. They used to use springs for car CD players, but rubber is cheaper.

·
Registered
846 Posts
hi guys.

Ok problem is when its cold out 50Deg's F or colder the cd changer skills really bad untill car is totaly warmed up... Bad part is I live in South Dakota... Right now its only 5 deg's out.. BRRrrrr So I have to deal with this problem all winter, anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for any help...

oh also should i take the thing out and look to see if anything looks outa place?

It is the beginning of a long slow death. AFAIK there is no cure for this terminal skipping disease..it will slowly get worse regardless of the temperature.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I replaced my 6 cd changer with a new one. Plug n Play. No marraige ceremony at the dealer needed. lol

Make sure the key is "off" when disconnecting wires to cd changer and only turn on the key or start the car after the new unit is installed.

The SID screen will come up and then you can load the cd's and start rockin out.

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
I had mine changed under warranty. Second one just as bad as the first. Not worth swapping for another chitty one IMO.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Consider yourself lucky... mine skips endlessly even once its warmed up. I actually opened the unit up and cleaned it all up with no luck.

hi guys.

Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You are correct, it is suspended with the bushing type things. Furthermore this didn't have much to do with anything. I did find a cd that was able to play for a few seconds and while I was messing around I stopped the cd from spinning by accident and the music continued so it must read ahead a little and save it in some sort of ram or something.

Probably nothing in it. I plan to take mine apart one of these days. I suspect the problem stems from the vibration damping mechanism. Many of these units suspend the player mechanism with rubber devices similar to bushings. The idea is the player kind of floats within the outer housing of the changer. When the temperature drops the rubber becomes less flexible and your shock-absorber becomes a shock-transmitter. They used to use springs for car CD players, but rubber is cheaper.

·
Registered
679 Posts
This is one of the oldest issues with our cars. I have a '04 9-3 and had one CD changer replaced when it was still under warranty and it still skips.

Also, I live in Southern California, it happens even at 70 F, I can only imagine it takes that much longer to warm up and stop skipping if you start at 0 F.

·
Registered
691 Posts
got the same problem here.. to only thing I found to solve in part this problem is to keep the CD inside my house and put it in the car when i leave....
I have to say that im pretty disapointed about this for a ''luxuary'' car...
But.. with a nice Air intake and a complete exhaust I have to say that I prefer to hear my car then the music:eek::cheesy:

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
You are correct, it is suspended with the bushing type things. Furthermore this didn't have much to do with anything.
I notice it plays better when you hit a patch of smooth road, then skips a few seconds after it gets bumpy again. The pattern is very reproducible now that we have temps in the mid 30's. Probably has about 3 seconds worth of anti-skip buffer.

Why do you say the rubber grommets have nothing to do with this? Some part of the shock absorbing system is adversely affected by low temperature. I don't get this behavior at all in summer. And it goes away once my cabin is heated in winter.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Can anyone say "Class Action Lawsuit"
GM would take it on the chin for this crappy cd player.
Agreed. Its too bad nobody ever did anything about it. So many little skipped things with the Saab. It's terrible. I'm in for lawsuit if you go for it ha. I want a cd player that won't skip.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
sry perhaps I should say, that in my experience with my changer it doesn't matter much. Mine starts skipping as soon as the car starts and stays skipping whether the car is moving or not even once warmed up. It started off like your experience and this is how it has ended up.

I notice it plays better when you hit a patch of smooth road, then skips a few seconds after it gets bumpy again. The pattern is very reproducible now that we have temps in the mid 30's. Probably has about 3 seconds worth of anti-skip buffer.

Why do you say the rubber grommets have nothing to do with this? Some part of the shock absorbing system is adversely affected by low temperature. I don't get this behavior at all in summer. And it goes away once my cabin is heated in winter.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts