SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
hkayssi said:
You have a 9-3, they don't have a CD changer in the trunk nor the cable for it. The CD is in the deck itself

I have the stock tape deck, but it has the button and controls for a cd changer. I believe the owner's manual for the 9-3 indicates that there is the option of a cd changer.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
John124 said:
I have the stock tape deck, but it has the button and controls for a cd changer. I believe the owner's manual for the 9-3 indicates that there is the option of a cd changer.
Huh, this is the first time I hear of a 9-3 with a tape deck. Must be a real early 1999 model then!

Good info to know. Thanks

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
hkayssi said:
Huh, this is the first time I hear of a 9-3 with a tape deck. Must be a real early 1999 model then!

Good info to know. Thanks
9-3's have no tape decks?! :eek: Saab really didn't want you to upgrade anything audio-wise cheaply...all these married cd changers, no tape decks, antenna adapters....

I just gave in and bought a $10 tape adapter for my ipod. :confused:

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
KSpark said:
9-3's have no tape decks?! :eek: Saab really didn't want you to upgrade anything audio-wise cheaply...all these married cd changers, no tape decks, antenna adapters....

I just gave in and bought a $10 tape adapter for my ipod. :confused:
That's what I was sure of so I'm confused as well! But if he has a 1999 9-3 with a tape deck.....

John, does your SID have the analog clock on it?????

·
Registered
8 Posts
hkayssi said:
That's what I was sure of so I'm confused as well! But if he has a 1999 9-3 with a tape deck.....

John, does your SID have the analog clock on it?????
I definitely have a 1999 9-3S. I have a digital clock on my SID. I was rather surprised to find that the car only came with a tape deck and not a CD player or CD changer add on. I haven't used audio cassettes in quite some time. I was hoping that the Clarion CD changer I have might simply plug in and be recognized. The original purchase date of the CD changer was sometime in the late 90s and figured it might be compatible.

Would the plug for the CD changer be in the area around the antenna motor and left speaker? Or perhaps there would be no need to remove that panel and could it find it closer to the spare tire under the mat?

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
hkayssi said:
You have a 9-3, they don't have a CD changer in the trunk nor the cable for it. The CD is in the deck itself
Not true! You had the option of either a cassette deck or an in-dash CD player in the 9-3. I believe the CD player was a no-cost option, so most of them have one. They're also all prewired for a CD changer, which was made by Pioneer, but used a special Saab interface. It connects to the head unit with yet another DIN plug, like the ones for the speaker and power connectors.

·
Registered
460 Posts
green machine said:
As long as it is C-bus it should work. My new Clarion 625 was manufactured in June 2007 and it works great on my 1994 radio. Were the CD's you tried originals or copies? The 625 will read CDR's and Rw's but I had issues with some previously ripped Cd's I use in my other vehicles. I found if I rip/burn using windows media audio files they'll play with no issue. My previous 634 and 635 changers would only play originals.
yeah i used a burned cd to test it. but im not sure if it was a 625 or not. i will go back and make sure. If if worked for your 94 surely it work for my 96.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Jeremy R. said:
Not true! You had the option of either a cassette deck or an in-dash CD player in the 9-3. I believe the CD player was a no-cost option, so most of them have one. They're also all prewired for a CD changer, which was made by Pioneer, but used a special Saab interface. It connects to the head unit with yet another DIN plug, like the ones for the speaker and power connectors.
Thanks for that bit of info Jeremy. I wasn't aware of that option actually. This is the first time I hear about it. I guess most people opted for the CD deck instead of the the tape.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well I managed to figure out what was wrong with my cd changer today...after taking it completely apart I threw it back together and was going to let it just sit in the garage, until I put in one of the few actual music cds I own on a hunch. Lo and behold, it played perfectly. ;oops:

The 635 I had earlier played burned cd's fine, and the 605 was competent with good quality burns, but I was trying to use crappy bought-in-bulk cds burned quickly, and that's why it wasn't reading them. *sigh* :roll:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts