SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to somehow repair the stock CD changer? I had a CDC-635 in my last Saab, and it worked beautifully--never skipped under any conditions. This one skips on every single bump in the road, sometimes stopping for a good 5 seconds. But most importantly, it refuses to play random things. Like it will not play one CD, and won't play select tracks on others. A month ago it did all of them, though. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Dang people there like any DVD player or any computer Dvd/cd players. They need to be clean. Mess up CD and so on. They need to be clean and they need to be clean right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,876 Posts
Atol said:
Dang people there like any DVD player or any computer Dvd/cd players. They need to be clean. Mess up CD and so on. They need to be clean and they need to be clean right.
:confused: What is that supposed to mean????? I have no clue as to what you just said :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
hkayssi said:
:confused: What is that supposed to mean????? I have no clue as to what you just said :eek:
:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: too funny.

You might want to check to see if the internal suspension system is "floating" properly. The CD-changer internals are like a case inside another case, where the internal case floats inside the external case. The inside case is supported by screws in rubber bushings that allow the internal case to kind of float when the external case is shook, like when you go over a bump. You been driving over alot of bumpy roads?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have indeed been going over some bumpy roads lately, and the very stiff tires don't help either. Is there anything I should look out for in particular with the suspension system when I take it apart?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Munki said:
Tried it several times today. The songs it plays have mild static, but the real problem is that it refuses to play songs past track 4 or 5. I ran it with half the changer enclosure off so I could see what it was doing...it spun up the disc like it would play, then the head jumped back and forth a little bit, made a clicking sound, the disc stopped. The SID continues showing the track number as if it is playing.

Unless anyone has any helpful advice it looks like I'll be in the market for a new changer. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
KSpark said:
Tried it several times today. The songs it plays have mild static, but the real problem is that it refuses to play songs past track 4 or 5. I ran it with half the changer enclosure off so I could see what it was doing...it spun up the disc like it would play, then the head jumped back and forth a little bit, made a clicking sound, the disc stopped. The SID continues showing the track number as if it is playing.

Unless anyone has any helpful advice it looks like I'll be in the market for a new changer. :(
It sounds like you just need a new cd changer, perhaps the lens can't focus properly onto the playing disc. search ebay for a used one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
The newer Clarion DC625's with the C-bus 13 pin connector can be used in our cars that used Clarion head units as well. I just put one in to replace the DC635 that was failing. Works great and plays CDR and RW's also! You can pick them up new at Crutchfield and other places on line, used on E-bay. If you find a RDC625 it just was a unit that came with the FM modulator which isn't needed for our cars. Just make sure your choice is C-bus and not C-net capable. They are starting to make adapters to make C-bus signals compatable to C-net and net to bus but they'll set you back another $100 or so......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I managed to pick up the new CDC635 for my last Saab for $24 shipped off ebay...right now the oem one is about to sell for about $100, and I'm regretting not taking the last one out of my trunk before selling it. :confused:

Are there any other brands that make cbus changers? I know VW used to have them oem, and I think Kenwood makes a couple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,464 Posts
C-Bus is a Clarion protocol. No other manufacturer makes C-Bus changers, but like you said, VW used to use them on some of their stereos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
John124 said:
Are all Saab 9-3s prewired for cd changers?
Yep. Check the left side of the trunk behind the carpeting, there should be a cable.

edit: nevermind this post, the cable is only in NG900s like Jeremy mentioned below.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
Some Alpine, Sanyo, Kenwood, and Panasonic heads could/can control Cbus/Cnet changers with simple adapters or interface boxes.... I believe I've seen interfaces to allow Clarion heads to control Cd changers from the before mentioned manufacturers in the past as well.....?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
green machine said:
The newer Clarion DC625's with the C-bus 13 pin connector can be used in our cars that used Clarion head units as well. I just put one in to replace the DC635 that was failing. Works great and plays CDR and RW's also! You can pick them up new at Crutchfield and other places on line, used on E-bay. If you find a RDC625 it just was a unit that came with the FM modulator which isn't needed for our cars. Just make sure your choice is C-bus and not C-net capable. They are starting to make adapters to make C-bus signals compatable to C-net and net to bus but they'll set you back another $100 or so......
funny. i put a newer one in my car and it just said NO CD. hmmm wrong one?

wouldnt it be a software compatibilty issue? 1996 Technology clashing with newer cd changer???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,464 Posts
John124 said:
Are all Saab 9-3s prewired for cd changers?
You should also know that the 9-3 can't use a cheap Clarion C-Bus changer like the NG900 can. You'll have to get a Saab changer, which is about $400 new, and then have a dealer "marry" it to your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I have a Clarion CD changer from a former Volvo wagon of mine. I was wondering if it would work in the Saab. I tried looking for the wire/plug earlier today around the area of the antenna motor in the trunk and couldn't locate it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
As long as it is C-bus it should work. My new Clarion 625 was manufactured in June 2007 and it works great on my 1994 radio. Were the CD's you tried originals or copies? The 625 will read CDR's and Rw's but I had issues with some previously ripped Cd's I use in my other vehicles. I found if I rip/burn using windows media audio files they'll play with no issue. My previous 634 and 635 changers would only play originals.



Bbmin7(b5) said:
funny. i put a newer one in my car and it just said NO CD. hmmm wrong one?

wouldnt it be a software compatibilty issue? 1996 Technology clashing with newer cd changer???
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top