SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

My CD changer hasn't been working for a while. I had seen the instructions from this forum on how to make the things work again, and everyone seems to have had luck with them, but me of course. I probably tried it twice to no avail, but just a few minutes ago I figured I'd give it one more try, just to be safe. And it worked! Or so I thought. The cartridge now goes in and out with the push of the eject button (at least now I've got my long-lost discs), but the player does nothing. It's got to be getting power, but the SID just shows the CD 01 display like it was working, then a NO CD message comes off, and the sound system reverts to the radio. When the cartridge is put in, I can't hear the discs loading like I can when it's working. Maybe it's just toast, but I feel so much closer. Like I said, at least I got my CD's back from the dead, but I'd really like to be able to listen to them in the car gain, and I feel more hopeful than before now that it does something. Any ideas?
Thanks a lot, guys.
-Happy Saabing!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
There is a company that rebuilds the Saab/Clarion CD unit.

Just assure that you have juice to the CD from the head unit..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How could I check if the head unit is communciating with the changer? Is that a connection that gets messed up easily? I changed the ignition switch on the car and could have easily knocked something out of place, if that's possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
earthworm said:
There is a company that rebuilds the Saab/Clarion CD unit.

Just assure that you have juice to the CD from the head unit..
I think the problem is usually with the CD button on the head unit usually. Those do get rebuilt.

I had the same problem myself. I bought a brand new unit and once I received it I took apart the old unit I found a broken weld close to where the C-bus wire goes in. I fixed that, put the unit back in there and it worked on the first try :cool:

Now I have a brand new spare still in the original box :cheesy:

Did this happen after you unplugged the battery by any chance or was it like that before?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I was getting the No CD message and the cart would not eject so I figured it must be jammed. Clarion changers are not too hard to dismantle and troubleshoot easy problems. You might as well clean the lense while you're in there too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
(i just posted this elsewhere ;oops:)

But the same thing happens to me, more or less. After my car will loose power (disconnect battery) i can't get my changer to work. Once it does though it's fine, so it doesnt sound like a switch.

I have the same deal though, i can remove my cd cassette, but nothing past that.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I fixed the jammed cd changer yesterday and now all is fine. Whenever the changer stops working I just pull the radio and remove the fuse in the back for an hour. After putting in the radio code everything is fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts